none
Dns question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My situation goes like this, we have a webserver web.companya.com on amazon aws and it is in CompanyA.com and has a public IP address. The server has a internal ip address to our domain CompanyB.com. Is it possible to add the webserver to our internal dns? Our purpose is that when internal users in CompanyB.com access the site web.companya.com it will resolve the internal ip address and those on the external network(internet) when they access web.companya.com they will resolve the public ip address of the site. CompanyA.com and CompanyB.com are one company but with two domains. 

Friday, April 22, 2016 2:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Janus,

>>We tried manually setting the hosts in the computers of the glonetel.com domain, manually setting abc.glone.com to 10.x.y.z.

Can we set configure window dns so it will point to 10.x.y.z when users within the glonetel.com access the web server abc.globe.com?

For internal:

1. Add a new Forward zone named 'glone.com' on DNS server for  glonetel.com.

2.Add a A record which name is 'abc' and IP is '10.x.y.z' in the zone 'glone.com'.

For external,add the public IP address record on ISP DNS server for 'abc.glone.com'

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Janus Barinan Monday, April 25, 2016 9:04 AM
    Monday, April 25, 2016 7:29 AM
  • Hi JANUS,

Primary zone.

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 25, 2016 8:21 AM

All replies

• Ok, so given that your internal space is "CompanyB.com", while you can add a host record for the public web server to your internal DNS with a name like web.Companyb.com; DNS queries for web.companya.com will still get forwarded outside of your internal DNS domain name space if the user types in the publlic FQDN of "web.companya.com", that's just how DNS works.   The workarounds are this:  (1) Your internal companyB users would have to manually be instructed to access the web server using the name of web.Companyb.com, rather than web.companya.com.  (2) You can also instruct your internal web developers to code hyperlinks for the web.Companyb.com name into your internal companyB web pages.

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

Saturday, April 23, 2016 9:13 PM
  • Yes, you should be able to host an internal website and adjust your DNS records to make your internal users point to the internal server. You could do this by using A/CNAME records and DNS forwarding.

Of course, if a client you have points to an external DNS server, he will be able to directly connect to your external website so check your DHCP options to make sure that your devices point only to internal DNS servers.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Sunday, April 24, 2016 10:56 PM
  • Hi Janus,

Todd and X gave great solutions.Here is some similar thread for your reference:

DNS setting for internal/external server

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/d4e0ab58-74c8-4537-b3ac-1577f5c377e2/dns-setting-for-internalexternal-server?forum=winserverDS

External website resolving with internal IP address

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/4798f950-6b91-4f59-b3f2-7844c7e6cf82/external-website-resolving-with-internal-ip-address?forum=winserverDS

Using DNS to forward external sites to internal servers

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/55087710-e859-49df-ba97-2fa90d0fcf87/using-dns-to-forward-external-sites-to-internal-servers?forum=winserverNIS

Best Regards,

Cartman

Monday, April 25, 2016 2:07 AM
  • Hi Guys,

I have read your responses and links provided. I'm a little bit confused here.

Let me try to rephrase my question.

So I have two domains glone.com and glonetel.com

I have a webserver abc.glone.com and it has two ip address 52.x.y.z and 10.x.y.z where the 52.x.y.z is the public.

Here is what I want:

When external user access abc.glone.com they will point to 52.x.y.z

When employes of glonetel.com access abc.glone.com they will be pointed to 10.x.y.z

We tried manually setting the hosts in the computers of the glonetel.com domain, manually setting abc.glone.com to 10.x.y.z.

Can we set configure window dns so it will point to 10.x.y.z when users within the glonetel.com access the web server abc.globe.com?

I hope this helps.

Thanks in advance!

Monday, April 25, 2016 6:56 AM
  • This would mean that our internal AD uses in glonetel.com when they ping abc.glone.com webservevr they wil get 10.x.y.z and when they do nslookup they will get the ip of abc.glone.com as 10.x.y.z, but when they are outside the company premises using public internet they would get 52.x.y.z in ping and nslookup.
  • Hi Janus,

>>We tried manually setting the hosts in the computers of the glonetel.com domain, manually setting abc.glone.com to 10.x.y.z.

For internal:

1. Add a new Forward zone named 'glone.com' on DNS server for  glonetel.com.

2.Add a A record which name is 'abc' and IP is '10.x.y.z' in the zone 'glone.com'.

For external,add the public IP address record on ISP DNS server for 'abc.glone.com'

Best Regards,

Cartman

• Hi CartMan,

Would it be a Primary Zone, Secondary Zone or a Stub zone? Our Dns is Active Directory integrated.

Monday, April 25, 2016 8:20 AM
  • Hi JANUS,

Primary zone.

Best Regards,

Cartman

Monday, April 25, 2016 8:21 AM
  • Hi CarMan,

It seems to work. I'll observe the behaviour. Meanwhile i will mark this as answer. Thank you so much!

Monday, April 25, 2016 9:04 AM
  • I have a problem though. When I created that zone. Other sites under glone.com are not working internally but they are accessible externally.
    Monday, April 25, 2016 9:47 AM
  • Hi Janus,

Add them to this new zone.

Best Regards,

Cartman

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 1:07 AM
  • How about adding it to the conditional forwarders so as not to create a zone and thus affecting other sites from glone.com?
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 1:18 PM
  • Hi janus,

If you a conditional forwarders for glone.com,'abc.glone.com' would not be resolved to internal IP. 

Best Regards,

Cartman

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 1:12 AM