Toshiba Laptop RRS feed

• Question

• My hard drive burnt up so I had to install a new one! I didnt have a recovery CD to reinstall windows vista so I bought an Upgrade CD to Windows 7 but now the Product key is being rejected because it was an upgrade CD, which is really what I needed. I don't understand why its being rejected! Please help!!

Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:23 AM

Answers

• "amengolfer" wrote in message news:b32d6be7-94dc-4a97-9af6-67e8f20e1076...

My hard drive burnt up so I had to install a new one! I didnt have a recovery CD to reinstall windows vista so I bought an Upgrade CD to Windows 7 but now the Product key is being rejected because it was an upgrade CD, which is really what I needed. I don't understand why its being rejected! Please help!!

Upgrade installations of Vista and Win7 require a previous installation of Windows to upgrade from - this installation must also be valid and activated.
    You should order a set of Recovery media for your machine from the manufacturer, and reinstall the machine from that, then use the Upgrade disks to upgrade to Win7

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 11:04 AM

All replies

• "amengolfer" wrote in message news:b32d6be7-94dc-4a97-9af6-67e8f20e1076...

My hard drive burnt up so I had to install a new one! I didnt have a recovery CD to reinstall windows vista so I bought an Upgrade CD to Windows 7 but now the Product key is being rejected because it was an upgrade CD, which is really what I needed. I don't understand why its being rejected! Please help!!

Upgrade installations of Vista and Win7 require a previous installation of Windows to upgrade from - this installation must also be valid and activated.
    You should order a set of Recovery media for your machine from the manufacturer, and reinstall the machine from that, then use the Upgrade disks to upgrade to Win7

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 11:04 AM
  • Please Contact Microsoft Support directly for assistance.
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, August 1, 2011 4:58 AM