SQL Server 2008 Express on Windows 7 x64 Failure to Install RRS feed

• Question

• I recently updated my x64 machine to Windows 7. I have had Visual Studio and SQL Server 2005 Express on the machine prior to the update. I was never able to get the management console for SQL 2005 to install (continually would run for most of the install and suddenly stop with an error code 29506, and roll back the install. 

After updating to Win 7 x64, I downloaded SQL 2008 Express to try and install instead.  I downloaded the install file SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe, and ran the program. Every time it would run the check of the support rules. Everything would pass EXCEPT for "Restart Computer" which would fail.  I would manually restart the machine and try to rerun the installer only to have it give me a fail at the "Restart Computer" line, which of course does not let me continue.  My attempts to search for solution have come up short (restart and windows 7 produces a LOT of matches that don't fit). I also tried to install the management console for 2005 on Windows 7 and get the same failure message at the same point of the install (Setting File Security) [And I did try to do things "Install as Administrator" also].

Any suggestions?  (I also reinstalled Visual Studio and SQL Server 2005 Express with no changes).  Is there a way to get around this?  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

JJ Kwashnak
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 1:32 AM

Answers