none
URGENT: My XP-Mode Virtual Machine has crashed: it is powered down and refuses to power up. PLEASE HELP: I have months of research stored in the virtual machine which I need to retrieve.

Question

• Last night when shutting down the virtual machine within Win7, the virtual machine hanged. Win7 gave me the option of doing a forced shutdown, which I accepted. But now this morning when I try to re-open the virtual machine (which is powered down) I keep getting the error message "The virtual machine could not be started. An unknown error occurred."  PLEASE HELP: I have months of research stored in the virtual machine which I need to retrieve. Any suggestions gratefully received.
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 2:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The issue could be incorrect configuration of XP mode.

Trying to rename the . vmc and .vsv from C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines and run Virtual Machine again.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:25 AM

All replies

• Can you burn a disc of the XP mode base? And then reinstall and use the disc to get your INFO?
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:28 PM
  • BartPE or a Linux rescue disk would also enable recovery of files.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Hi,

The issue could be incorrect configuration of XP mode.

Trying to rename the . vmc and .vsv from C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines and run Virtual Machine again.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:25 AM
  • Thanks.It's working.........
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:42 AM
  • Change them to what?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 8:35 PM