Boundaries / Boundary Groups RRS feed

• Question

• We have a standalone primary site SCCM 2007 install.  I have also installed SCCM 2012 R2 in our environment as we start the process of migrating (really we're not migrating anything, just migrating clients once it's ready).

Right now I plan on just manually pushing out clients (i.e. right-click, Install client) to a majority of the clients to migrate them over to 2012 R2.  Once a majority are migrated I will disable client push on the SCCM 2007 side and enable it in SCCM 2012 to finish off the remaining clients.

A few people have mentioned that since I have a standalone primary site, I don't need to worry about boundaries or boundary groups.  How should I be configuring boundaries and boundary groups on the SCCM 2012 R2 side?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:14 PM

All replies

• You need boundary groups for content location.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:17 PM
  • If the questions is what method, I would use IP Ranges. Still seem more accurate then using the AD Sites. SCCM can discover your IP Ranges so you can click a checkbox and assign them to the site.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:19 PM
  • You need boundary groups for content location.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Can you explain?  I have one server for 2007, and one for 2012.  I won't have any other content locations.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 4:22 PM
  • If the questions is what method, I would use IP Ranges. Still seem more accurate then using the AD Sites. SCCM can discover your IP Ranges so you can click a checkbox and assign them to the site.
    I prefer AD Sites & Services so there is one spot where we manage IPs vs manually adding new IP ranges to SCCM and AD.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 4:22 PM

I prefer AD Sites & Services so there is one spot where we manage IPs vs manually adding new IP ranges to SCCM and AD.

I think you are miss-understanding what I said. SCCM can discover your ranges using "Active Directory Forest Discovery", so no "manual" work to create the ranges. Would just need to assign them to a boundary group. If I recall correctly the general population suggest ranges too.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 4:27 PM

I think you are miss-understanding what I said. SCCM can discover your ranges using "Active Directory Forest Discovery", so no "manual" work to create the ranges. Would just need to assign them to a boundary group. If I recall correctly the general population suggest ranges too.
    I think I understand, however are you saying I should uncheck "Automatically create AD site boundariies when they are discovered" and check "Automatically create IP address range boundaries for IP subnets when they are discovered"?
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:01 PM
  • I am actually doing both, just don't rely on the AD Site for my assignments.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:43 PM