publishing office 2013 on app-v server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to publish an office 2013 package that I have created using the ODT.

The technet guide (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/dn817830.aspx) I am using is telling me to use this command 'Add-AppvClientPackage <Path_to_AppV_Package> | Publish-AppvClientPackage –global'  from the client and then 'From the Web Management Console on the App-V Server, you can add permissions to a group of computers instead of to a user group to enable packages to be published globally to the computers in the corresponding group.' from what I can see it has worked as in I can now open word, excel etc.. but the package has not  appeared on the appv server yet to allow me to configure permissions. Before attempting the above command I tried importing the package directly into the app-v web management console but the app-v client could not see the package although it was in the correct security group.

Any pointers?

Thanks

Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:00 PM

Answers

• The instructions are misleading, the add-appvclientpackage is 1 way of deploying it, while the web management console / publishing server is a separate way.  Running add-appvclientpackage will not (for any package) import it to the management console.  You have to use the webUI for that.

Since you have the publishing server setup, I would recommend that way, but there is not wrong way of doing it.  You do have to make sure that the computers you are targeting have global publishing enabled, as well as package scripts enabled (like what the article says).  That might account for why you not seeing the package deployed to the computer.  If there is something else going on, start looking at the event viewer logs to see where the failure is happening.

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by j4mie_th0mas Friday, November 14, 2014 12:09 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:16 PM

All replies

• The instructions are misleading, the add-appvclientpackage is 1 way of deploying it, while the web management console / publishing server is a separate way.  Running add-appvclientpackage will not (for any package) import it to the management console.  You have to use the webUI for that.

Since you have the publishing server setup, I would recommend that way, but there is not wrong way of doing it.  You do have to make sure that the computers you are targeting have global publishing enabled, as well as package scripts enabled (like what the article says).  That might account for why you not seeing the package deployed to the computer.  If there is something else going on, start looking at the event viewer logs to see where the failure is happening.

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by j4mie_th0mas Friday, November 14, 2014 12:09 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:16 PM
  • + note that it may take several minutes (10+) before a new published package appears on the client

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Friday, November 14, 2014 7:07 AM