bypass password login for user group on windows 7 machines via windows server 2003? RRS feed

• Question

• My management dislikes always having to log-in to a computer via passwords. To them, it's considered an inconvenient and one more thing to remember along side business. Therefore, they've asked if I can set the systems up to have which ever users selected to log-in without a password on their accounts. I'm not an expert in the windows 2003 server admin role, so I would like some help with this. 

Note - Is there a way I can access the server through a user computer logged in as admin without going to the physical server itself. It's a bit of an inconvenience since it's in the storage area. (second level) 

Our system is also on a domain, and there are over 10 machines running windows 7. 

Thank you!!

Friday, November 7, 2014 9:06 PM

All replies

• For security reason you can use security cards. This is suitable in Active Directory environment.

If managers insist on autologon, then read (for example)

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/auto-logon-windows-7.htm

Regards

Milos

PS: Lowering security by autologon is a very bad habit. I would try to avoid this, unless using security cards.

• Edited by Milos Puchta Saturday, November 8, 2014 9:35 PM PS:
    Saturday, November 8, 2014 9:33 PM
  • The machines that need to have auto logon are all on a domain linked to a windows 2003 server. When I went to the link provided and followed the steps, there was no check box to uncheck.

I'm guessing this has to be accomplished through the server itself.

Please let me know what your thoughts are.

Thank you, Cris

Monday, November 10, 2014 6:48 PM