none
Links are not broken when moving tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I did not have this problem in 2007. Assume I have 5 subtasks all linked together in sequence one after another. Earlier under 2007 version when I moved the 4th task (while being linked) between 1st and 2nd task project automatically delinked the 4th task from 3rd and 5th task and automatically relinked with 1st and 2nd task. Also it automatically linked the 4th and 5th task with each other. Why doesn't the same thing happens in 2013 version.

Hope someone could help me.

Thanks

Irfan

• Edited by Irfan Nizar Sunday, October 4, 2015 9:31 PM
    Sunday, October 4, 2015 9:21 PM

All replies

• I am sure that what you describe has never happened in any version of MSP. Links are preserved when tasks are moved. How do you move the tasks, by dragging the row or copy/paste?
    Sunday, October 4, 2015 11:01 PM
  • Under File, Tools, Schedule there is an option called Autolink inserted or moved tasks. This is on by default and you may have had it turned off in 2007. So try turning it off in your version.

However, even with this option off, if you have your 5 tasks linked one after the other and you select then copy 2-4, task 6 (copy of 2) is also linked to 1. I don't like it as the copied tasks are very rarely going to need the original link.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Monday, October 5, 2015 4:30 AM
  • I am using Project Standard 2013. I move the task by dragging and that is how I need to do that since it is done very often. I tried keeping "Autolink inserted or moved tasks" on and off. The result is same except when autolink is on it linked to the new predecessor and successor while maintaining the old links was well. Start and finish dates remains same as well.

I need the existing links to be automatically broken and new links to establish after moving, and the task to be scheduled accordingly

I have shared the Project file on OneDrive. The link is as follows: "http://1drv.ms/1GrAcjs".

Monday, October 5, 2015 7:44 AM
  • I tried keeping "Autolink inserted or moved tasks" on and off. The result is same except when autolink is on it is linked to the new predecessor and successor while maintaining the old links was well. Start and finish dates remains same as well.

I move the task by dragging and that is how I need to do that since it is done very often. I do not want to copy each task or retain the original links.

I need the existing links to be automatically broken and new links to establish after moving, and the task to be scheduled accordingly

I have shared the Project file on OneDrive. The link is as follows: "http://1drv.ms/1GrAcjs".

Monday, October 5, 2015 7:50 AM
  • Irfan,

I'm not sure if this will help, but your question reminded me of a very similar issue (links following or not following when moving tasks), that brought up back in January by a user on the Project customization and programming forum. You might want to give the thread a read.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/40d870db-246e-4271-8e43-a374a5ce646a/copypasting-a-group-of-tasks-within-a-project?forum=project2010custprog

If you can't get the result you want, you may need to use some VBA. The macro posted on the reference link above could give you a start.

John

Monday, October 5, 2015 3:20 PM
  • Couldn't open your file, so maybe file corruption?

Moving tasks never changed links in 2007. Only copy broke original link from memory.

So if you are dragging tasks, you will need to delete original link manually or use VBA as John suggested.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Monday, October 5, 2015 7:05 PM
  • Thanks John!

I will work on this for a while. Not very fluent in VBA but can manage with online resources. I will keep you updated.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 2:07 AM
  • May be you have to download the file. I tried again and it is working.

Sorry I made a mistake in my version reference. I just went back to my earlier laptop and the version is Professional 2003. There when the task is moved it automatically sets it's predecessor and successor based on the new location and also resets the predecessors and successors of all subsequent tasks. Has Microsoft changed how this is working or is there any settings to be changed. Can we escalate this to Microsoft?

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 3:12 AM
  • Irfan,

Okay, thanks for the feedback. If you run into any issues with the VBA approach, post back and we'll help you work those out.

John

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 3:39 PM