Control Panel icons move as they are loading RRS feed

• Question

• It's fairly amusing to see a quad core with 4GB of RAM take 15 seconds to show 20-30 icons, but the fact they move around while you're trying to click the one you want must surely be some sick joke at the expense of system administrators.

Comments, suggestions appreciated.

Just trying to get value-for-money for the $20,000 worth of your products I support...
    • Changed type Arthur Xie Friday, July 30, 2010 8:45 AM
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:12 AM

All replies

• Windows 7 is like this throughout.  You see it in Explorer, you see it in Programs and Features, you see it in a lot of places.  The damned thing reminds me of that old joke program with the button that would move out of the way whenever you tried to put the cursor on it.  Except it stops being funny.

And you're right, to see a modern giga machine struggle to put one menu of items on the screen is absolutely mind boggling.

-Noel

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:38 AM
  • Hi,

Could you provide the exact model of your hardware like motherboard, display card, processor and the computer manufacture? Make sure  you have the latest update for devices installed.

Does this issue only occur to Control Panel? When did it start such behavior?

I would suggest perform the following steps to list all the .cpl files in the system32 folder:

Click Start, click Run and type CMD and press Enter. Type these commands
    and press Enter after each line:

CD\Windows\System32
    Dir *.cpl /a /b >C:\CPLs.txt

Now click Start, click Run and type or paste: C:\CPLs.txt then click. You can share with us within your post.

Check the cpl file one by one,  if any one belongs to third party software, then delete it.

If there is no sign of third party file, certain things you can try are to find out the root cause of the problem are given below.

1.    Have a look whether you can reproduce the problem in safe mode.

Start your computer in safe mode
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If behavior doesn’t persist in safe mode, it indicates that a third party program or service is preventing you from performing the action as supposed to.

To validate or determine which service/startup item could be causing this, restart the computer and boot to desktop normally. Once done, perform clean boot.

2.    Clean Boot prevents software conflicts by preventing the startup items and non Microsoft services from loading. This way you can safely follow the process of elimination to check which application is causing this behavior.

Refer:
    How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    Note: Ensure that you put your computer back to normal startup mode after completing the troubleshooting steps. Steps are available in the article given above.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Friday, August 6, 2010 10:30 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Freqy Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:46 AM
    Friday, July 30, 2010 10:46 AM
  • Hi Magon,

Q6600, 4GB DDR-II 800, nVidia GTX 260. Drivers are all Microsoft and up-to-date.

Problem has existed (and still does) on every Windows 7 machine I have ever used.

There are no extra control panel icons other than the ones that ship with Windows.

Starting in safe mode makes no difference.

Clean boot makes no difference.

Just trying to get value-for-money for the $20,000 worth of your products I support...
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:47 AM
  • ...and suddenly the MSFT has nothing.

Run out of KB articles you ____ useless piece of ____ ____?

Monday, October 11, 2010 2:33 AM