none
Previous Versions does not show DPM recovery point RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, just getting started with DPM.

Is it correct that I need to turn off shadow copies before users can see the DPM copies on the 'Previous Versions' tab?  I was planning on having a scenario with frequent shadow copies, say 9 per day for 1 week, and to use DPM to take one copy per day and have 2 months retention.  Is this possible?  It seems like a good setup in that the frequent copies would happen locally (no network impact) and the more traditional daily backup style would be handled by DPM during the small hours of the night when I don't care about the network/system impact.

As I understand it, I can have the scenario I described but users would only see the shadow copies on the 'Previous Versions' tab and a system admin would need to do any restores which involved DPM :-(

Paul Linton
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 6:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You are correct in your understanding, local shadow copies supercede shadow copies located on the DPM server when viewing previous version tab, so end users will not see both if you have local shadow copies enabled.  This is a limitation of the shadow copy client (redirector) and not anything DPM can control.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:07 PM