Start-Menu's Recent-Programs list ignores clicks while animating. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not entirely sure what the list on the left-hand-side of the start-menu is called but I presume it is something along the line of "recent programs". In Windows 7, some programs store a list of recently opened documents. The presence of such a list is indicated with a right-arrow on the left of the button in the recent-programs list and if you either click this button or hover over the item you get to see a pretty little animation that replaces the right-hand-side of the start menu with that programs recent documents list.

Very smart.

Except...

If you try to click the recent-program button (not the arrow, the main button) while the animation is playing, your click is ignored.

Very annoying.

Here's how I work with the start menu:

1. I click the orb.
    2. I hover over the item I want to open, let's say "Excel"
    3. I think for a moment: "Do I really want to open Excel? Perhaps OOo. Calc would serve my purposes better, this morning."
    4. I conclude: "No. Excel is it. Definitely Excel."
    5. I click.
    However, by point five, the pretty-little-animation has started playing and my click is ignored.

6. Nothing happens.
    7. I realise that nothing has happened.
    8. I curse and swear because my click was ignored.
    9. I click again.

Had I clicked BEFORE the animation began, Excel would have launched. Had I clicked AFTER it was finished, Excel would have launched.

Now, I think that the recent-documents integration is brilliant and having it activate on hover is great... but I don't see why the expand-on-hover feature should interfere with the original purpose of the recent-programs list. Primarily, that thing is a launch surface. You click things, they open. Any other features should NOT mess with that.

I also realise that the animation doesn't take too long so someone may argue that it is unlikely that your click will coincide with it. I, however, am rather consistent in my workflow and I seem to hit this issue two times out of three. To me, the thing just feels clunky.

How hard would it be to stop the animation when my click is received and open the program?

Is there a connect-issue for this bug? (I cant seem to find or start one.)

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 6:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Stephen

This is behaving like any process. If it is busy, the mouse click will be ignored until it finishes.

If this is a problem with the way you work, you can always go into the Start menu properties and disable the 'Open sub menus when I pause on them with the mouse pointer' option.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 10:18 AM
  • I have no doubt that this is true.

I don't think it's acceptable.

Couldn't Microsoft have implemented the animation without blocking the message loop? They've been using windows-messages and message pumps for at least a billion years!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:41 PM