none
DESKTOP WALLPAPER

Question

• Hello,

i am facing an issue when i set a GPO to set clients desktop wallpaper.

The issue is that after setting the GPO only windows 10 clients will set the wallpaper to the one i set.
    Win 7 clients will show a black or blue desktop wallpaper.

If i right click  on win & client desktop and go to personalize the desktop will show the correct picture i set but it will not appear in desktop.

i downloaded and execute the KB977944 but is says that update is not applicable for my computer.

following a technet article i configured the registry and set the path for the image i want to set for wallpaper but issue remains desktop wall paper is black but shows correct in preview in personalization.

gpupdate /force has been executed on both clients and server.

the image i need for desktop wallpaper is a shared folder that users has rights (windows 10 users works fine).

any suggestions how to resolve this issue?

thank you in advance

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Have you checked if MS16-072 is installed on windows 7 clients and domain controllers which might cause user group policy not working? If that is the case, please use the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC.MSC) and add the Authenticated Users group with Read Permissions on the Group Policy Object (GPO). If you are using security filtering, add the Domain Computers group with read permission. Please see: https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/3163622
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:02 AM
  • Hello,

thanks for your help i will check is ms16-072 is installed but i dont think is GPO issue as desktop wall paper changed from user selected to black after gpo is applied and when you go to personalize the image i want shows in there (themes) but it will not be displayed as desktop wall paper.GPO works as in win 10 pc's the wall paper i want works fine.

i will let you know when i check the MS16-072 story.

thanks

Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:14 AM
  • ok i have solved the issue!

i check the above mentioned MS16-072 and the update was installed on clients and there was no problem with the GPO.

The problem was with JPG file. i saved it as bitmap and worked fine upon client gpupdate /force and restart.

the policy to allow only bitmap wallpaper is not enabled so something else is happening with JPG files.

thanks for your help!

Thursday, December 22, 2016 8:56 AM
  • > The issue is that after setting the GPO only windows 10 clients will set the wallpaper to the one i set.
    > Win 7 clients will show a black or blue desktop wallpaper.

1st make sure http://gpsearch.azurewebsites.net/#1839 is enabled. Otherwise Explorer might try to load the image while the network is not available.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 8:58 AM
  • Hi,
    Thank you for the update and share, and if possible, we would appreciate you to mark the helpful reply as answer, and it will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.
    Best regards,  
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 26, 2016 7:38 AM