Outlook 2016 issue displaying updated text for recurring meeting in SharePoint calendar RRS feed

• Question

• Consider the following:

• You have a SharePoint calendar (we have tested this with SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint 2013 calendars)
    • You use the "Connect to Outlook" SharePoint function to view the calendar in your Outlook 2016 client
    • In Outlook, you create a new recurring meeting in the SharePoint calendar with some description text in the body of the meeting. The Outlook/SharePoint sync works and you can see your new meeting by viewing the SharePoint calendar from your browser
    • Later you edit just one of the events from Outlook, choosing "Just this one" and modify the description text. You save your changes. The Outlook/SharePoint sync works and you can see your new text by viewing the SharePoint calendar item in your browser
    • However, you go back to Outlook 2016 and re-open the event, choosing "Just this one", and the new description text is lost. It appears to have never been changed from the original

We encountered this problem, and verified the issue did not exist in Outlook 2013 or Outlook 2007.

Friday, January 20, 2017 4:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I post this reply to let you know that we are handing this thread as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience and understanding!

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 23, 2017 7:09 AM
  • After further testing, it appears that the issue is due to the following:

Viewing "Just this one" of a recurring meeting event in Outlook 2016 always opens the Entire series instead.

Consider the following:

1) You have a SharePoint calendar connected to Outlook 2016

2) Using Outlook 2016, you create a recurring meeting in the calendar

3) You edit "Just this one" event on a certain date, adding description text

4) You also edit "Entire series", adding description text

5) When you open "Just this one" event on the date from Step #3, the description text is from "Entire series" from Step #4

Please resolve.

Monday, January 23, 2017 4:11 PM
  • Hi, kleung

Thanks for you detailed testing steps. For your second post, I got the same results.

1. I create SharePoint calendar, and connect it to Outlook 2016.
    2. Using Outlook 2016, I create a recurring meeting in the SharePoint calendar.
    3. I open "Just this one" event on the first meeting, and add "one" word to description text.

4. Then I can see this update in browser.

5. I then open and edit "Entire series" -> adding description text ("Entire series" words).

6. Then I open the first meeting on the date from step #3, the description text is "Entire series".

7. Then I open calendar in browser. "Entire series" words are not synced to any of calendar.

8. I open the first meeting on the date from step #3 in browser. The description text is the word "one".

So for now, if I edit the entire series meeting in outlook, this change will overwrite any changed to every single meeting in this series. But this change will not affect the "description" in SharePoint calendar in browser.

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Lynn-Li Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:29 AM Add more info
    • Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:11 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:22 AM
  • And for your original post. I test it with the same result. Here are my steps:

1. In outlook, I create an another  recurring meeting in SharePoint calendar. Sync works well and I can see this new meeting in browser.
    2. I open the first meeting from outlook, choose "just this one" and add words "The first one".

3. Then I view the SharePoint calendar item in browser, I can see it. But in outlook, I re-open this event, I can't see this modify.

4. Then I open this mailbox in Outlook 2013, connect SharePoint calendar to outlook. Open the first meeting in Step #2, I can see it.

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li

• Proposed as answer by Lynn-Li Monday, February 6, 2017 2:18 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:51 AM
  • Thank you for confirming the issue, Lynn-Li. Could you please let MS know this issue exists?

Thanks,

Ken

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:25 PM
  • Thank you for confirming the issue, Lynn-Li. Could you please let MS know this issue exists?

Thanks,

Ken

Sure thing!

Meanwhile, you can send feed back to MS by clicking smiley face in outlook.

Your anonymous feedback helps us improve our products for you but protects your privacy.

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:11 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 11:04 AM
  • Thanks Lynn-Li. Hopefully MS will get this fixed! Our Outlook 2016 users are not happy.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:52 PM