How could one recover the outlook password? RRS feed

• Question

• One of my friends has changed the password in this dialog and forgot what it was.

How can one recover it?

This is not the same as the password for accessing the email account, isn't this?

Would changing this password affect how the email accesses the data file?

• Edited by healee Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:52 AM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:50 AM

Answers

• You can use Microsoft free utility “pst19upg.exe”, this tool removes the password from lockedOutlook data file (.pst), But there is also the drawback of this tool because this tool will work only MS Outlook 2003 & earlier versions.

To my knowledge, this utility only works with the older ANSI pst files used by Outlook 2002 and older, not the new Unicode format pst, available in Outlook 2003 and up.

@healee,

Yes, I'm afraid you will have to use a third party tool for this purpose. Microsoft doesn't provide any solution to retrieve or circumvent passwords that are lost or forgotten.

For legal reasons, we cannot recommend or endorse any one of the third party tools. If you want help to break or to reset a password, you can locate and contact a third-party company for this help. You use such third-party products and services at your own risk, just make sure to choose one with a good reputation.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 3, 2017 10:50 AM

All replies

• Thanks!

Is there any free software that will do the same job?

Friday, March 3, 2017 1:20 AM
  • Hello,

You can use Microsoft free utility “pst19upg.exe”, this tool removes the password from lockedOutlook data file (.pst), But there is also the drawback of this tool because this tool will work only MS Outlook 2003 & earlier versions. If you want to remove password from updated versions of MS Outlook you should use the third party tool. If you want to know more about "how to unlock password protected pst".

I found an informative article which may help you to unlock password protected pst file, Click here: 
    http://www.itninja.com/blog/view/how-to-unlock-password-protected-pst-file-6

Thanks & Regards
    Kelvin Howard

Friday, March 3, 2017 5:08 AM
  • Thanks guys.

It looks like one has to buy a software for the solution.

Friday, March 3, 2017 6:12 AM
  • You can use Microsoft free utility “pst19upg.exe”, this tool removes the password from lockedOutlook data file (.pst), But there is also the drawback of this tool because this tool will work only MS Outlook 2003 & earlier versions.

To my knowledge, this utility only works with the older ANSI pst files used by Outlook 2002 and older, not the new Unicode format pst, available in Outlook 2003 and up.

@healee,

Yes, I'm afraid you will have to use a third party tool for this purpose. Microsoft doesn't provide any solution to retrieve or circumvent passwords that are lost or forgotten.

For legal reasons, we cannot recommend or endorse any one of the third party tools. If you want help to break or to reset a password, you can locate and contact a third-party company for this help. You use such third-party products and services at your own risk, just make sure to choose one with a good reputation.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 3, 2017 10:50 AM
  • One can reset or recover the password of MS Outlook PST by following manual steps given at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12429/microsoft-account-sign-in-cant

One more method is also explained at https://www.slipstick.com/problems/pst-repair/remove-a-password-from-a-pst-file/ which should resolve the issue.

Still you have issue then you can refer to third party tools which can recover Outlook password. Some of them are free and some are paid from Stellar, Kernel, Systools etc.

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 5:47 PM
  • To remove or recover the PST file password that you have lost due to any reasons. From the given link you will know the effective solutions that can safe recovered your PST file password by simple steps and download the software link here - https://www.softaken.com/outlook-pst-password-removal
    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 9:59 AM