none
Bug with customised text column names containing the "(" symbol RRS feed

• Question

• I have what I believe has been an issue for a very long time, but thought I should share it with the forum for your information.

It appears that Microsoft Project is not entirely comfortable with customised text column names that include an opening bracket “(“.

The 1st screen shot shows 4 customised text columns, with names containing a mix of “#”, "(" and ")" symbols, that can be seen at the top of the insert column dialog box:-

The 2nd screen shot shows the bottom end of the same insert column dialog box, but 2 of the text columns which contain the “(“ symbol are missing the customised name:-

This can cause problems because anyone trying to add a new text column to their project plan may inadvertently scroll to the bottom of the dialog box and use a text column that has already been reserved for another purpose.

Unfortunately, I think the only solution for this is to avoid using special symbols for customised text column names.

All the best,
    TechNetHelpRequired

Friday, January 22, 2016 3:26 PM

Answers

• TechNet,

For my installation (Project Pro 2010 fully updated) I get Text1 and Text2 but not Text3 and Text4. However at the top of the Insert Field list, all 4 renamed text fields show properly, it's only when the user scrolls down into the full list that some are missing.

Is this an issue? Yes. Would I consider it a big deal? No. If a user did attempt to use a text field that was already "reserved", the user would be alerted when he/she selected the field for insert. Not ideal but then there are a few little anomalies in Project that only show up in what I consider fringe scenarios, so we live with them or find a workaround.

My two cents.

John

Friday, January 22, 2016 3:55 PM

All replies

• TechNet,

For my installation (Project Pro 2010 fully updated) I get Text1 and Text2 but not Text3 and Text4. However at the top of the Insert Field list, all 4 renamed text fields show properly, it's only when the user scrolls down into the full list that some are missing.

Is this an issue? Yes. Would I consider it a big deal? No. If a user did attempt to use a text field that was already "reserved", the user would be alerted when he/she selected the field for insert. Not ideal but then there are a few little anomalies in Project that only show up in what I consider fringe scenarios, so we live with them or find a workaround.

My two cents.

John

Friday, January 22, 2016 3:55 PM
  • Hi John,

Thank you for testing this out - it's good to know it's not just me.
    I agree with your comment that this is 'fringe' issue and has a relatively easy fix (don't use symbol characters in custom names).

Much appreciated,
    TechNetHelpRequired

Monday, January 25, 2016 3:19 PM
  • TechNet,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Monday, January 25, 2016 3:43 PM