server 2003 standard sp2 unable to open ntbackup RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello everyone,

On my Server 2003 Standard SP2 machine I have found that I am unable to open Backup or expand the Removable Storage snap-in in Computer Management.  In Task Manager I can see ntbackup.exe running with no CPU activity, 7MB memory used and no IO read/write/other.  I have no errors in Event Viewer for ntbackup.exe.  In Computer Management console, if I try to expand the Removable Storage snap-in the whole Computer Management conlose freezes and I have to close it via End Task.  There is no error for this in Event Viewer as well.  I have tried renaming the files in %windir%\system32\ntmsdata and restarted the server with no luck.  I have also restarted the Removable Storage service and Volume Shadow Copy service with no luck as well.  I have restarted the server and ran a check disk on all drives as well.  Any command using rsm.exe in command prompt results in a freeze as well and I have to end task rsm.exe in Task Manager.

Is there anything I can do to restore my ability to open Backup and Removable Storage so I can resume making backups of this small server?

Thank you for any support you can provide,

Ben Z.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 5:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Ben,

please try this first:

To correct corrupted system files,
    click Start->Run->SFC /Scannow
    (ntbackup is included in the lot that's resolved through this procedure)
    if corrupted, reinstall from CD.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 12:05 AM
  • This Windows Backup forum is intended for questions and discussions regarding the default backup features included in Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and beyond. For all other queries, the following forums/newsgroups should be able to provide better support.

Questions regarding XP/W2k3:
    File Services and Storage Forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverfiles/threads

Thanks,

Bikash Agrawala [MSFT]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Sunday, December 27, 2009 12:53 PM