Win7 logon screen - local account auto-complete RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a pool of loan laptops at work that people can book out to use while their computer is being repaired, or they have an offsite presentation, etc. I have just built up another fleet of 5 laptops runing Win7 (the current ones are XP). Each of these laptops is joined to the domain but also has a standard generic local user account that they can use in the event that they have not logged on using their domain account before they leave the office. I know we can just instruct the users to type .\accountname to log on locally, but I have noticed that prior to disabling the local admin account, you could type in administrator and it would auto-revert to the local machine, so you didn't need to type in .\accountname or computername\accountname.

I would like to know if it is possible to have this feature work on the generic local account I have created on each laptop, so the users don't need to type in .\accountname or computername\accountname.

Cheers

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based my research, the easiest way to login the system by using the local account is using “.\user” instead of “usersPC\user”.

We may not be able to login directly by typing local account name right now.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Kim Zhou Thursday, May 3, 2012 1:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, May 3, 2012 2:03 AM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 9:38 AM

All replies

• if you know .\ before the username, that will instruct it that you are logging onto the local computer. i dont think so there is any option which you are looking.

you can either keep log on  required users or unjoin the domain and make more local user account to log on only in local machine. or make some  guest Accounts in active directory.  

Thursday, April 26, 2012 10:24 AM
  • Hi,

Based my research, the easiest way to login the system by using the local account is using “.\user” instead of “usersPC\user”.

We may not be able to login directly by typing local account name right now.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Kim Zhou Thursday, May 3, 2012 1:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, May 3, 2012 2:03 AM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 9:38 AM