none
Updating Member Server Without Restarting It

Question

• Hi,

I was working on creating Gpo's programatically. My goal was to allow users to RDP on Member servers. For that I added user groups under Restricted group sections in Gpo.

Now in order to update the changes I used " gpupdate /force " command but its not working. . . user is not able to RDP on Member Server unless we restart the Member Server through administrator's account.

I have also switched my Firewall off.

I am looking for the solution where I will not need to restart Member server for updating the userGroups under Computer management section of member server.

Thanks,

Anand Kothekar

Friday, March 27, 2015 2:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I was working on creating Gpo's programatically. My goal was to allow users to RDP on Member servers. For that I added user groups under Restricted group sections in Gpo.

Now in order to update the changes I used " gpupdate /force " command but its not working. . . user is not able to RDP on Member Server unless we restart the Member Server through administrator's account.

I have also switched my Firewall off.

I am looking for the solution where I will not need to restart Member server for updating the userGroups under Computer management section of member server.

Thanks,

Anand Kothekar

Friday, March 27, 2015 2:03 PM
  • These forums are for dev questions.  Questions related to changing GPO and forcing replication are really better suited for TechNet even if you are doing it programmatically.  We can help you write the code to do what you want but determining what to do is more of a TechNet question.  If they say the /force is all you need to do then it would become a programming issue.
    Friday, March 27, 2015 4:42 PM
  • A restart should not be required. Please make sure that changes are taking place when you force the update: Mainly check the membership of local Remote Desktop Users group. If it is not updating then you need to troubleshoot that: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/6e6821a5-1568-4ced-9302-0b0d0070bda8/how-to-troubleshoot-why-a-particular-gpo-does-not-work

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Saturday, March 28, 2015 9:22 PM
  • Once after applying the policy verify your results by RSOP.msc. And based on the result you can troubleshoot the Group policy apply.

Please also go throug below link , if it helps for you..

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134201.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards,
    Biju Kurup

Please click on Propose As Answer or  to mark this post as helpful for other people.
    This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, March 29, 2015 2:49 AM
  • Hi Anand Kothekar,

Like Cool DadTx said this is a issue related to GPO. Now I will move your thread to Windows Server >Group Policy  TechNet forum for better support.

Best regards,

Kristin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 30, 2015 6:46 AM