System Reserved partition RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When installing Windows 7 Ultimate I noticed it created a 100mb system reserved partition. No probs.

Recently I turned on AHCI in my bios and attempted to do a clean install. This time WinPE did not create a reserved partition and despite creating an 80gb partition to install windows on it said it could not find a system partition and refused to proceed any further, pointing me to some log files I could not find.

I had deleted all partitions on the drive.

So I turned off AHCI and tried again. I missed the "press any key".. and system complained about a "Master boot record error".. I rebooted and tried to do install again. Same issue.

I was able to recover my system from an image I created earlier, but I sure would like to know why the reserved partition was not created, and why windows refused to install. Because I'm going to try again.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 1:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The 100MB system reserved partition will be created only on any unformatted drive or drives without any preexisting partitions. Make sure that you have deleted all partitions including hidden partition. Moreover, do you happen to mount multiple hard drives, RAID drives or Dynamic drives? If so, please disconnect any external hard drive and internal drive, then re-attempt the installation. As a work around, you can also plug the hard drive out and slave to another available computer to format the disk completely, then re-attemp the installation.

Best Regards
    Dale
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, December 28, 2009 1:40 AM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 5:38 AM

All replies

• Windows 7 - Clean Install Bug
    http://www.pagestart.com/windows7cleaninstallbug.html

So far I've this problem with a three drive configuration and another user had the the problem with only two hard drives.

JS http://www.pagestart.com
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:45 AM
  • Hi,

The 100MB system reserved partition will be created only on any unformatted drive or drives without any preexisting partitions. Make sure that you have deleted all partitions including hidden partition. Moreover, do you happen to mount multiple hard drives, RAID drives or Dynamic drives? If so, please disconnect any external hard drive and internal drive, then re-attempt the installation. As a work around, you can also plug the hard drive out and slave to another available computer to format the disk completely, then re-attemp the installation.

Best Regards
    Dale
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, December 28, 2009 1:40 AM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 5:38 AM