Wireless Networking in Windows Server 2008, Disabled??? RRS feed

• Question

• the other day, I installed an evalution edition of Windows Server 2008 (not the R2, 32 bit) because I am planning to buy it but first evaluate. I must say it is as good as I expected but I uninstalled again the same day because of this:

I couldn't get my wireless network connected. Drivers installed and listed in Device Manager. When I want to view available wireless networks the list is empty, and I cannot connect manually even.
    I managed to allow some exceptions to the firewall, but that didn't open the scanning for wireless networks and left the list still empty.
    Then I browsed through the services.msc to see which service could block the scanning, but I couldn't find any service related to the issue.
    Still empty wireless networks list even with the firewall disabled completely.

I do want this OS, but wireless access is vital to me so I unistalled and went back to my previous OS which has immediatly access to my wireless. I can't understand why this is disabled in Win2008 by default, I know it pretends to be a secure system, but this is like a bunker.....

Anyone a trick to enable wireless network scanning and add my own wireless connection?
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:19 AM

Answers

• I found the solution somewhere but not on that forum. For those with the same problem:

By default, or network activity is disabled in Server 2008 to "make the system look secure as a bunker...."

You have to add wireless networking as a feature in the Server Manager snap-in. Then it will be "allowed" by the system to have network activity.
    • Marked as answer by Geisha79 Tuesday, June 2, 2009 12:04 PM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 12:04 PM

All replies