none
DPM 2010 "Stop protection of group"! RRS feed

• Question

• DPM 2010 "Stop protection of group" did a lot more than I wanted - how to recover?

I was working with a colleague on a VM issue and we saw in Cluster Failover Manager that we couldn't create a .vhd in our target SAN because a backup was running there.

So...it was about 2 in the morning, after working on the issue since noon the previous day...I wanted to stop whatever backup DPM was doing, looked at "All jobs in progress", tried to stop all the synchronization jobs that were running, finally in a pique clicked on the group responsible for all the synchronization and did a "Stop protection of group". No jobs running, .vhd created, now to go back and turn the group...back...on...and...whoa.

Where is my group? How to recover? I can still see "Inactive protection for previously protected data", but how to recreate everything, especially how to recreate the group and still point to the protected data and take off where I left off? And how do you temporarily suspend DPM? What should I have done to stop all backups, do my thing, and turn everything back on?

(I was also on the phone with another Microsoft employee on a tangenital issue and he tells me Mike Jacquet is the bomb.)  :^)

Rob

p.s.

Found this article:

http://www.buchatech.com/2011/07/mark-inactive-protected-data-active-in-dpm/

and this:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/3900e494-b753-4e0d-a9e9-7bf95cd6b2ba

but I no longer have the stopped protection group listed and when I click on the inactive group "Modify protection group" is greyed out...

• Edited by rob.pettrey Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:41 PM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

Steve's article talks about an individual protected data source, rather than the whole group. The principle is essentially the same though. What has happened is that you've told DPM to remove the protection group altogether - to stop protecting all the data sources in the group, which then removes the group itself since it needs a minimum of 1 data source. If you've left the replica on disk (and it sounds like you have), then all the backup data is still there, and you can resume using it.

You can easily create a new protection group and point it at the same protected data. It'll happily re-use the inactive replica and recovery point volumes, if there have been no changes at the agent side (in context, it sounds like there havent been). It will do a consistency check against the data sources and the inactive replicas, and then everything will be back up and running. The consistency checks take a while.

Here's the relevant info on creating protection groups: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399083.aspx

Hope that helps!

Matt

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:05 PM
  • Hi Rob,

You have to recreate your protection Group (Wathever the name) with same datasources and then DPM will "re-use" your Replica from the inactive group.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:09 PM
  • I fell into the same trap and wiped out a protection group.  Is there a way to temporarily disable a protection group?
    Monday, April 22, 2013 8:27 PM
  • By protection group? No, there is not a 'pause' button.

If you are looking to stop all scheduled tasks from running for only some of your protected servers, you could 

1. Make sure there are no running jobs from those protected servers

Keep in mind, if you split volumes to different protection groups, that those will be stopped as well

2. Disable the Agent from the management tab

This will let agents continue to communicate for other servers, but not for the ones you specify

3. Do what ever testing you were trying to do, then enable the protection agents.

Any jobs that were scheduled will not have run, and it will pick up point in time to what ever job is scheduled next.

Regards

• Edited by Kyle SA3 Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:29 PM typo
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:28 PM