DPM protection group workstation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

Could you help me please if I doing right , I would like to backup client workstation all disks , what should I choose in Specify protection rules just system Drive include (I have disk C: and D:) thank you for your help

Monday, July 20, 2020 3:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Simply enter the path of the drive, or drive name:

Or once the first manual backup has run, you can from the client side by opening the Data Protection Manager Client and then selecting what you want to back up:

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Edited by Leon Laude Monday, July 20, 2020 4:53 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2020 4:37 PM
  • Hi Everyone,

Could you help me please if I doing right , I would like to backup client workstation all disks , what should I choose in Specify protection rules just system Drive include (I have disk C: and D:) thank you for your help

Hi,

You can just put in the Volume Name or a specific path and in the Rule  section you can select the Option: Include/ Exclude. You can also configure the same setting from DPM Client console. However you will not get granular control as what type of file extension you want to exclude or include explicitly from it. It is only possible from DPM protection group wizard. So pick the file type extension wisely as you don't want unwanted files to be backed up unnecessarily.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Monday, July 20, 2020 4:46 PM
  • thank you for your help, could you tell me please in Allcate storage should I keep 5 GB Data per computer or I should change , because I would like to backup all disk C: and D:?

thank you

Monday, July 20, 2020 4:52 PM
  • 5GB per computer is pretty low if your intention is to backup both C: and D: drives, these may also differ on each computer so it may be difficult to know exactly.

Assuming storage capacity is not an issue, you should find out and calculate how much the C: and D: drives use on an average on your client computers, then you can use this average amount.

Monday, July 20, 2020 4:56 PM
  • thank you for your help, could you tell me please in Allcate storage should I keep 5 GB Data per computer or I should change , because I would like to backup all disk C: and D:?

thank you

Well, it depends on the data type you want to protect. I don't see a reason to protect the entire C volume. You should be good to protect Users folder only where most of the user's data is kept, along with few more folders. About D:\ -not sure what data is contains and the size of the data. So you need to be very careful before picking the volumes or data types to protect else it will consume lots of space on the DPM volume.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Monday, July 20, 2020 5:09 PM
  • Hi Aayoosh,

could you tell me please I did calculate size of data and I have 83 GB , also I would like to protect all disk C: Workstation if probable get blue screen and my Windows crash, I would like to restore all windows 

thank you,

Monday, July 20, 2020 9:18 PM
  • You could simply select the whole C-drive, and then only select the folders that are important on the D-drive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another possibility is to perform an image-level backups of client computers, although this is not an officially supported scenario.

Microsoft System Center DPM and earlier versions of DPM are not natively able to perform image-level backups of any supported client operating systems that appear in the Microsoft support matrix. To protect a client's system state or perform an image-level backup, you will need to use the image backup feature in Windows 10 to first create an image-level backup. This backup option will include a full installation of the operating system itself, components of the operating system (such as settings, desktop, and Windows applications), and any personal data.

You can use the image backup feature in Windows 10 to carry out an image-level backup to a local drive and then let DPM back this data up. This is, however, a workaround, and not an ideal scenario.

The following steps will guide you through performing an image-level backup of a client computer:

1. In Windows 10, right-click on the Start button, click Settings, click Update & Security, and then click Backup.

2. In the Settings | Backup page, click the Plus (+) sign next to the Add Drive option and select the local drive you are going to back up to. Ensure that Automatically Backup my Files is enabled. By default, File History runs hourly.

3. File History in Windows 10 will protect all of the folders in your User folder. To add other folders to File History, click the More Options link and scroll down to the Plus (+) sign next to Back up these Folders.

4. You can also add a list of folders to specifically exclude from the backup. Scroll down to the Plus (+) sign next to Exclude these Folders and select the folders you want to exclude.

To be able to protect a client's system state or perform an image-level backup, you will need to use the image backup feature in Windows 10 and create an image-level backup. Here, your backup target is a local drive, or you can even use an external USB key.
    By default, the backup of a Windows 10 client computer occurs hourly, but this is configurable.

You can identify both the folders that you want to include and exclude. Then, you simply use Microsoft System Center DPM to centrally back up this data.

Monday, July 20, 2020 9:30 PM
  • Hi Aayoosh,

could you tell me please I did calculate size of data and I have 83 GB , also I would like to protect all disk C: Workstation if probable get blue screen and my Windows crash, I would like to restore all windows 

thank you,

Hi,

DPM does not support image backup for client machine. Even if you backup entire C:\ volume, you can not do a image restore of the client. You need to take image backup using windows inbuilt feature and put it in additional drive or share folder which can further be backed up from DPM. That is why I suggested you not to take entire C:\ volume backup as it will waste the dpm storage pool.

Also, client image is deployed and maintained by SCCM. You can speak with your SCCM admin and ask them to keep a updated client image for different windows version. If you think you need to restore the entire system, you can ask sccm admin to re-image the client machine remotely. 

Ideally, client machine data are not important from organization stand point. Mostly they only take backups for C:\users and also exclude file extension types like: .mp3,avi,mpeg,mkv etc.

I think you need to re-strategize your backup plans for client backup. Please help me with the below questions

1. How many clients you are planning to protect from DPM.

2. Do they all have same configuration and data size: like C:\ and D:\

3. Do you use SCCM for image deployment in your infrastructure. 

4. Does your client users have a share folders to keep their important data? If yes, if that file server being protected by DPM?

5. What is the current DPM DISK Pool size? Do you have a provision to extend it in future if needed?

Please help me with the answers so that I can suggest you a backup strategy for client backups.

Regards
    Aayoosh Moitro

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 6:38 AM