RSAT-Hyper-V-Tools: The referenced assembly could not be found. Error: 0x80073701 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Environment:

-       Windows Server 2016 v1607 (build 14393.3384)

-       PowerShell 5.1.14393.3383 Desktop (build 10.0.14393.3383)

Description:

Attempting to install RSAT-Hyper-V-Tools WindowsFeature via Server Manager or PowerShell and I get the following error message:

Error:

"Install-WindowsFeature : The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed. Installation of one or more roles, role services, or features failed. The referenced assembly could not be found. Error: 0x80073701 At line:1 char:1 + Install-WindowsFeature -Name RSAT-Hyper-V-Tools -IncludeAllSubFeature ... + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~     + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (@{Vhd=; Credent...CQCJ8YWVCXP011}:PSObject) [Install-WindowsFeature],     Exception     + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DISMAPI_Error__Failed_To_Enable_Updates,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.AddWind    owsFeatureCommand  

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077"

Note

I’ve attempted to mount a Server 2016 Disc Image, and pull the feature from an install.wim, and despite positive –WhatIf, it continues to fail to install this feature with the same error listed above.

Both; sfc /scannow and dism /cleanup-image /checkhealth return no violations.

Elevated prompts used both in cmd and powershell.

Edit

I should mention, within the install.wim I am attempting to pull the feature from, RSAT-Hyper-V-Tools is disabled. Like I mentioned above, the -WhatIf passes, but when attempting to commit the install, fails. 

My guess was it should not matter if it is enabled / disabled, the disc image should have the feature available if I use it as an install source with with this cmdlet within an elevated Powershell cmd window:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Install-WindowsFeature -Name RSAT-Hyper-V-Tools -IncludeAllSubFeature -ComputerName ECQCJ8YWVCXP011 -Source E:\Sources\install.wim -WhatIf

What if: Continue with installation?

What if: Performing installation for "[Remote Server Administration Tools] Hyper-V Management Tools".

What if: Performing installation for "[Remote Server Administration Tools] Hyper-V GUI Management Tools".

What if: Performing installation for "[Remote Server Administration Tools] Hyper-V Module for Windows PowerShell".

What if: The target server may need to be restarted after the installation completes.

Success Restart Needed Exit Code      Feature Result

------- -------------- ---------      --------------

True    Maybe          Success        {Hyper-V Management Tools, Hyper-V GUI Man...

• Edited by AFoshay Monday, January 13, 2020 6:06 PM Edits
    Monday, January 13, 2020 5:58 PM

All replies

• If I Google "install.wim + [parts of your error]", I come up with a bunch of references to languages.  Some talk about just reinstalling, etc.

https://www.urtech.ca/2018/02/solved-windows-feature-installation-the-referenced-assembly-could-not-be-found-error-0x80073701/comment-page-1/

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 2:17 AM
  • Thanks for replying!

So I've had a look at the logs, and don't see a string that shows; [EN] Error string etc..

There is only one installed language, and it is English.

I will be redeploying the latest patch, because I have no idea what could be causing the issue. 

After speaking with a colleague we can't see any logical reason this feature would fail installing.

Additionally, we pointed it to another successful Hyper-V deployment winSXS folder. To look for the install files, and we receive the exact same error message.

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 6:29 PM