SharePoint 2007 - How to pass a value from a list web part to a form field? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have edited the editform.aspx page for a customer's specialized solution. The custom work included adding a column to the right of the default editform. The column holds two connected web parts. The first webpart is a single-column list of links; the connected second webpart shows two columns of a list: One definition and a Service Code.

The user is intended to reach the particular field in the form, go to the right column, choose a 'best match' link form the top webpart, move to the second webpart, read through the different service definitions and then choose the associated service code.

Currently, the user goes back to the form field and enters it manually.

The customer/project owner wants the ability for the user to click the Service Code and for it to appear in the form field back on the form.

How do I do this? Can it be done with SharePoint Designer 2007. I don't have Visual Studio.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Work until you think it's perfect. Then, go away and do something that takes your mind completely off it. Then, come back and fix your work.

Monday, March 11, 2013 5:25 PM

All replies

• Bump

I'm replying to myself, even though I've halfway figured this out.

At one web part, I created a web connection where one web part sends data to the second; the second web part uses 'Get a Parameter from' the first. From the wizard, I created a new parameter at the receiving web part and linked it to the field from the sending WP. I created a link on the sent field in WP1 (the intention is for the user to click this link and the value is passed to the receiving WP's field), then I finished the wizard.

At the second web part, I changed the target field from a 'Form Field' to a text box. At properties, I entered the paramater name, format: {$Param1}.

The problem is that when the form opens WP2's text box gets filled with the first field value from WP1's linked field. I need the text box in WP2 to remain blank until a link in WP1 is clicked.

Any suggestions?

Work until you think it's perfect. Then, go away and do something that takes your mind completely off it. Then, come back and fix your work.

• Edited by rlntel Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:54 PM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:51 PM