Booting from USB on Surface Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to boot from USB and connect to my deployment share to image a Surface Pro.  I format the USB as FAT32 and load my ISO.  The Surface boots to USB and starts the TS.  However, I receive an error right away " A connection to the deployment share could not be made, no networking devices were found on this machine"  I have all the surface firmware/drivers in the Out-of-Box drivers section.  I have a USB dongle with 4 additional USB ports.. have a LAN line connected to the recommended Ethernet Pro adapter and the bootable USB stick in another port.  what am I missing?
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:25 PM

Answers

• Yes,

add the following lines to your customsettings.ini

; Display Settings
    BitsPerPel=32
    VRefresh=60
    XResolution=1
    YResolution=1

this will force Windows to run automatic detection of highest resolution!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:51 PM

All replies

• from the winpeinit log, I see this error: query adapter status no adapters found

however, I have all the surface drivers in my drivers section

Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:57 PM
  • Check your boot image properties, since by default only LAN and MASS Storage drivers will be injected into the boot image. an USB2Ethernet adapter may be an entire different driver class.

That's why, I create a folder in out-of-box drivers called "WinPE" and create a selection profile called "WinPE", and on my Deployment Share properties "WinPE" tab/pane, I select that selection profile, and check "Include all drivers from the selection profile", this way you can be assured, that all drivers in that particular WinPE folder, are injected in the boot image, even if the driver class is not "network" or "mass storage"

Cheers! and let me know if it has worked out for you! Thanks!

Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:06 PM
  • I got it to work by updating the firmware on the OEM image that was originally on the Surface.  may be a seperate subject, but anything to force max resolution when booted to the desktop icons?  the driver is installing and working, just defaulting to 1024x768
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:49 PM
  • Yes,

add the following lines to your customsettings.ini

; Display Settings
    BitsPerPel=32
    VRefresh=60
    XResolution=1
    YResolution=1

this will force Windows to run automatic detection of highest resolution!

Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:51 PM