none
Disk Storage Recomendations RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone have recommendations as far as network-attached storage devices for storing DPM replicas? We were using a Drobo, but found out after the fact that Drobo doesn't support Dynamic Disks, which DPM uses to store its disk replicas. Does that mean we're limited to Windows OS on any NAS device? Or are there other good (i.e. supported) options (e.g., Linux)? Thanks! 

Shaun

Monday, July 27, 2020 8:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Shaunm001,

As long as DPM has block level access to the attached storage, DPM really doesnt care about the underlying storage. So technically you can use any storage which suffice the below need:

1. Block level Access (with Dynamic Disk for legacy storage)

2. Sector Size should always be consistent across underlying storage (i.e. WS storage) to DPM native storage.

3. When storage spaces is used to carve out DPM storage, storage spaces is supported on iSCSI and FC controllers as long as the virtual disks created on top of them are non-resilient (Simple with any number of columns)

4. Write- Back cache should always be se to zero while using Storage Spaces for DPM storage.

Note: Looks like you are using legacy storage hence Drobo is not supported as legacy storage requires a dynamic disk. You can upgrade your DPM to 2016/2019 (if you are running DPM 2012R2) and use REFS volume instead as it requires a basic disk to be presented. 

Let me know if you have follow up queries. Thanks.

Regards
    Aayoosh Moitro

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

• Edited by Aayoosh Moitro Tuesday, July 28, 2020 5:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Shaunm001 Tuesday, July 28, 2020 3:49 PM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2020 5:37 AM