none
Pin Code Login Failure RRS feed

• Question

• The PC has 3 accounts.  All three use Microsoft Accounts to login.  2 of the accounts use PIN successfully.  1 fails with the correct PIN.  It fails with a "Username or Password is incorrect" error.

The user can go into the Account settings, provide the old PIN and set a new PIN and the system accepts the changes.  Attempt to login with the new PIN and it fails.  Logs in with a password, goes back to Account Settings and use the PIN that just failed to set to yet another new PIN.  So the system seems to recognize the PIN as correct to set a new PIN, but doesn't accept it on login.

To ensure it's not a keyboard option, we've tried using the onscreen keyboard to input the PIN with the same failure. 

Steps I've attempted to fix the problem:

• Remove and reestablish a new PIN
    • Reset the PIN
    • Completely remove the profile both through accounts and ensured removal  by checking User Profiles under the Advanced System Settings.  Reboot and create a brand new profile.
    • Create profile using a local account then linking to the Microsoft account (when this occurs PIN will work as a local account, but fails once linked)
    • Create a profile using the Microsoft Account directly.
    • Turning off account/device sync
    • Go to the Microsoft Online portal and ensure the PC is removed from all device lists associated with the account (repeat the above).

Password works, image login works, but PIN fails.  I've tested the problem account on other Windows 10 devices and logging in with a PIN isn't a problem.

I have noticed that on this one device every time I link the account the theme the user had selected (which was downloaded from Microsoft) shows back up so I guess I'm not flushing everything.. I just don't know where else to look.  This has me completely befuddled.

Friday, December 11, 2015 2:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Neyland,

We could refer to the following link to have a fix.
    PIN does not work and will not let me sign in to Windows 10
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/pin-does-not-work-windows-10

NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 14, 2015 6:14 AM