none
DvD drive is reporting "currently in use RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have a problem with my Plextor DvD drive reporting that the DvD/CD-RW Drive (E) is currently in use even after a reboot.  I receive this error when I attempt to use or eject drive within WIndows.  Nero and WinDvD will not see the drive.  When a DVD or CD is put into the drive there's no autorun and the cd label doesn't change.  The drive does show in Explorer. 

I originally thought it was a cabling problem or something with my burner.  I don't think its the burner as I'm able to boot from a CD.   Unfortunately there is no secondary drive to try.  I have used the system restore for this very issue and it did correct the problem but only for a time.  Unfortunately, a system restore has to be a last resort as I'm supporting this computer more than 500miles away with the assistance of a landesk program and the software is not onsite.  The only software installed after the latest restore point was itunes, nero, windvd and virtualbox.  Despite this, I'm back to the same problem.  I have uninstalled all those apps without success.  The machine is running Vista Business 64bit with 8gb of ram, and a Plextor PX-716A.  The dvdr's firmware has been upgraded.  I've tried removing the DVD drive from the Device manager allowing it to find the drive and hopefully reinstall the drivers without success.  I've looked for areas in the log that might report an error but am unable to locate anything relating to the drive.  I browsed the System areas but didn't find anything that, I believe, would explain this.  This is incredibly frustrating, your help is very much appreciated. 

Thank you.   
    Matt
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I understand that the issue persists after removing upper and lower filters.

Given the situation, let’s check whether any file/program are using the DVD drive. Please take the following suggestions.

Suggestion 1: Test this issue in Safe Mode

=================================

1. Restart the computer.

2. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

3. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

4. Test this issue in Safe Mode.

Note: Restart the computer will lead the computer enter Windows Vista Normal Mode next time.

Suggestion 2: Test this issue in Clean boot.

=============================

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please monitor the system in the Clean Boot environment. If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

If the issue still persists, please help me collect the following information. I will take a deep research on it.

HijackThis

==========================================

Please run a analysis software named HijackThis, save the scan log.

http://www.hijackthis.de/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Process XP

1. Click the link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx

2. Click “Download Process Explorer (1.6 MB)” at the bottom of the window, please download and save it onto the Desktop..

3. Right click and extract “ProcessExplorer.zip” to the Desktop.

4. Open the extracted folder of “ProcessExplorer”, double click “procexp.exe”.

5. Click Agree to open it.

6. Click View on the Tool menu, and select “Show Lower Pane”.

7. Click View on the Tool menu, click “Lowe Pane View”, and select “DLLs”.

8. Reproduce the issue.

9. Then highlight “Explorer.EXE” in the left pane.

10. Click File in the Toole menu, and then select “Save As…”.

11. Save “Explorer.EXE” to the Desktop.

Please upload the two files to the following link:

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=3a2ecbb3-e202-4268-947d-93728b6b2d33

Password: uepr7-ZB_tUCA%j0

Thank you for your cooperation.

Hope it helps.

Monday, August 4, 2008 9:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue may be caused by registry has been corrupted by third party software. Please try to take following suggestions.

Modify the Registry

=====================

1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Friday, August 1, 2008 6:36 AM
  • Hello,
    Thanks for responding,  I removed the upper and lower filters without success. 
    Friday, August 1, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I understand that the issue persists after removing upper and lower filters.

Given the situation, let’s check whether any file/program are using the DVD drive. Please take the following suggestions.

Suggestion 1: Test this issue in Safe Mode

=================================

1. Restart the computer.

2. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

3. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

4. Test this issue in Safe Mode.

Note: Restart the computer will lead the computer enter Windows Vista Normal Mode next time.

Suggestion 2: Test this issue in Clean boot.

=============================

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please monitor the system in the Clean Boot environment. If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

If the issue still persists, please help me collect the following information. I will take a deep research on it.

HijackThis

Please run a analysis software named HijackThis, save the scan log.

http://www.hijackthis.de/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Process XP

1. Click the link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx

2. Click “Download Process Explorer (1.6 MB)” at the bottom of the window, please download and save it onto the Desktop..

3. Right click and extract “ProcessExplorer.zip” to the Desktop.

4. Open the extracted folder of “ProcessExplorer”, double click “procexp.exe”.

5. Click Agree to open it.

6. Click View on the Tool menu, and select “Show Lower Pane”.

7. Click View on the Tool menu, click “Lowe Pane View”, and select “DLLs”.

8. Reproduce the issue.

9. Then highlight “Explorer.EXE” in the left pane.

10. Click File in the Toole menu, and then select “Save As…”.

11. Save “Explorer.EXE” to the Desktop.

Please upload the two files to the following link:

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=3a2ecbb3-e202-4268-947d-93728b6b2d33

Password: uepr7-ZB_tUCA%j0

Thank you for your cooperation.

Hope it helps.

Monday, August 4, 2008 9:34 AM
  • Will do...  I will be speaking to him tonight... 

Monday, August 4, 2008 5:20 PM
  • Hi,

If you have any update on this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 2:31 AM
  • Unfortunately, I'm unable to collect the information as he was called out of town till early next week.  As soon as he returns I'll quickly get you the information. 

Thanks much,
    Matt
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 3:51 PM
  • As this thread will quiet for a while, we will be changing the issue type to ‘Comment’.

If you wish to return to this question you can go ahead and change the type back to ‘Question’. Then you can edit your initial post and change the radio button at the top of the post editor window.

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 7:24 AM

• This resolved the issue!

I believe it was iTunes that was creating the issue.  I followed suggestion 2 in your instructions removing all services and enabling services one by one and voila.  Despite uninstalling iTunes, the Bonjour and iPod services, were still present following a restart.  I don't know if this is a glitch in their installer or an anomally of this system.  Nonetheless, I hate Apple!  He's able to play DvDs and burn cds even in itunes. 

I really appreciate your assistance in this matter.  I learned a lot especially the usefullness of msconfig's services tab.  =)

Thanks Much,

Matt

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 4:33 PM
  • hello
    this thread has been quiet for a while but here goes:

i have a similar problem as the message described above - my dvd drive is completely non-responsive and there is no disc in the drive. when i try to eject it, it tells me

'DVD RW Drive (F:)' is currently in use.
    Save any open files on this disc, and then close the files or programs using the files before trying again.
    If you choose to continue, the files will be closed, which may cause data to be lost.

Cancel - Try Again - Continue

second two options lead me back to the same message. 

i have tried:

- to clean the registry
    - a system restore
    - to remove Upper and Lower Filters
    - both your Option 1 and 2 above
    - to reinstall the DVD RW driver
    - to uninstall iTunes
    - to delete WMP temp files

i have also tried a sfc scannow and 'Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.' and i can't find the CBS log.

i have a feeling that it is Windows Media Player that is locking the drive (as far as i remember it sort of crashed and thereafter the drive didn't work) but because it is such an integral part of Vista i cannot make any changes to it (uninstall/reinstall or upgrade to a newer version)

i thought i'd try you before i reinstall Vista OS or buy a new DVD drive

HELP!

thanks, if you're still around...
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 7:04 AM