none
thresholds for performance counters in project server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• there are a lot of performance counter to monitor project server health but unfortunaletly there is no threshold for them.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg715567%28v=office.14%29.aspx

for example it's mentioned for "Average disk queue length" in database server :

"Average values larger than 1.5 per spindle indicate that the write times for that hard disk are insufficient."

or for

"Average values larger than 80 percent indicate that processor capacity on the database server is insufficient" for Prossessor time

but for other counters there is no acceptance threshold.now I have several questions:

1-where can I add "Memory utilization" performance counter? there is no search to find it and i don't know which catgory it is blong to

2-I'm not sure what "Apply to object" means? for example there are 2 "Memory utilization". 1 in WFE and 1 in database server.how can I find it and apply it to their proper opbjects.

3-last but not least, what are the thresholds for all of them.how can I undrestand I'm on the right road?

Sunday, January 6, 2013 7:11 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Sam,

1. You wont find specific good or bad numbers(threshold)  for all the performance counters. While configuring , "Performance counter" is listed in the top pane and when you make a selection like processor , below panel is "Apply to object" in this case if you have 4 processors you can see 1...4 and _total.

2. For memory utilization you have to select Memory and then select appropriate applies to object

3. This is something which you have to have to rely on your experience. Since there are multiple ways to deploy this solution and depending on hardware , farm configuration, usage pattern, for every deployment Threshold can be different.

Hope this helps.

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, January 6, 2013 8:17 PM
  • Hello Sam,

1. You wont find specific good or bad numbers(threshold)  for all the performance counters. While configuring , "Performance counter" is listed in the top pane and when you make a selection like processor , below panel is "Apply to object" in this case if you have 4 processors you can see 1...4 and _total.

2. For memory utilization you have to select Memory and then select appropriate applies to object

3. This is something which you have to have to rely on your experience. Since there are multiple ways to deploy this solution and depending on hardware , farm configuration, usage pattern, for every deployment Threshold can be different.

Hope this helps.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

1-there are several options to choose in "Memory" category.which one is related to project server performance?

it is mentioned apply it to proper application pool.but i can't find it

2- does performance counter benchmarks consider as companies properties?if no. can I have yours?

• Edited by Sam-Net Monday, January 7, 2013 5:23 AM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 4:42 AM
  • 1. Memory utilization in performance counter document for Project server is with reference to application pool of web site on which PWA site has been provisioned

2. Unfortunately I cant share my deployment details.  Even if I share perf data, wont be helpful for you. Everything deployment is unique.

Ideally you should deploy the solution, test the environment with test cases , if everything is working as expected take 1st set of performance counter data and keep it as benchmark.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Monday, January 7, 2013 6:36 AM
  • 1. Memory utilization in performance counter document for Project server is with reference to application pool of web site on which PWA site has been provisioned

I'm so sorry but I don't get what you mean.when I click on each item in "Memory" Category, there is no option for choose.

for example when I choose "%process" in process category, in "instance of selected object"ection I can choose "sqlsrv".but for memory there is no option.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:26 PM
  • I found PAL Wizard 2

it helps me

• Marked as answer by Sam-Net Saturday, April 27, 2013 6:49 AM
    Saturday, April 27, 2013 6:48 AM
  • Just completing the answer done by Sam.

You can use the Performance Analysis of Logs (PAL) Tool (http://pal.codeplex.com/) to analyze the performance logs. Once this tool has a threshould file template that you can use.

Roan Marques

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 5:54 PM