Word 2013 Style Set visual gallery versus Word 2010 Style Set list RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to add the Word 2010 way of viewing a Style Set (as a list) in the newer Word 2013?

Word 2013 shows the Style Set to show as a visual gallery - you have to hover to see the name of the Style Set. 

Word 2010 shows a Style Set in a list that's easier to pick based on name. 

Friday, April 25, 2014 8:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you want to use the "Style Set " list in Word 2013?

If it is, Word 2013 has a new interface now, the feature is under the new Design tab.  Although the design meets the most users' needs, however it is still not perfect. Please be assured that any improvements in the product are based on users' requirements. Our developers strive to capture Microsoft users' ideas and are working hard to create a more powerful and easy to use product.

For more detail information, please refer to the following link:

http://blogs.office.com/2012/09/06/changing-your-style-in-the-new-word/

We also can submit a feedback about Office 2013 by using the smiley face in the right top of the screen.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 28, 2014 6:16 AM
  • I have to agree: the modified style set gallery offers no improvement over the drop down available in Word 2007 and 2010.

Also, note that style sets have limitations, which is why I wouldn't recommend them anyway. More precisely, they are unpredictable if they include numbered styles. It's safer to make use of templates.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 7:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you want to use the "Style Set " list in Word 2013?

If it is, Word 2013 has a new interface now, the feature is under the new Design tab.  Although the design meets the most users' needs, however it is still not perfect. Please be assured that any improvements in the product are based on users' requirements. Our developers strive to capture Microsoft users' ideas and are working hard to create a more powerful and easy to use product.

For more detail information, please refer to the following link:

http://blogs.office.com/2012/09/06/changing-your-style-in-the-new-word/

We also can submit a feedback about Office 2013 by using the smiley face in the right top of the screen.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 28, 2014 6:16 AM
  • I have to agree: the modified style set gallery offers no improvement over the drop down available in Word 2007 and 2010.

Also, note that style sets have limitations, which is why I wouldn't recommend them anyway. More precisely, they are unpredictable if they include numbered styles. It's safer to make use of templates.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 7:11 PM
  • I'm not sure what limitation you mean Stefan.  I work with an IT consulting firm that creates style sets for law firms.  We purposely name them based on the Heading Styles, for example, "I. A. 1. a. i. A) 1) a) i)" could be the name of one style set that also explains how Heading level 1-9 would be setup.  With law firms, Title, Subtitle, Body Text & Normal are usually the same and are all stored in the Normal.dotx file.  For Law Firms it's the Heading Styles that vary from document-to-document.  We found this naming convention easier for users to understand.

NOW, in 2013 in order to see the name (and the setup of the multilevel list) of the Style Set, we have to hover over each one in the gallery and it's simply too slow.  The "Text List" that was available in the other versions of Word is infinitely better.  I hope Microsoft creates a patch that allows both looks.  This new look is fine for those that have never used it before, but us loyal Word users have been using it for over a decade.  At law firms, STYLES ARE KEY to document formatting.  Switching between Style Sets is also KEY.

Monday, May 12, 2014 9:30 PM
  • George,

I couldn't find the Smiley face you mentioned to provide feedback.

Monday, May 12, 2014 9:31 PM
  • I couldn't find the Smiley face you mentioned to provide feedback.

The smiley doesn't exist anymore. I believe it only existed in test versions before the official release of Office 2013.

Monday, May 12, 2014 10:07 PM
  • I'm not sure what limitation you mean Stefan.  I work with an IT consulting firm that creates style sets for law firms.  We purposely name them based on the Heading Styles, for example, "I. A. 1. a. i. A) 1) a) i)" could be the name of one style set that also explains how Heading level 1-9 would be setup.  With law firms, Title, Subtitle, Body Text & Normal are usually the same and are all stored in the Normal.dotx file.  For Law Firms it's the Heading Styles that vary from document-to-document.  We found this naming convention easier for users to understand.

The limitation is that numbered paragraph styles within a style set may lose their numbering or get the incorrect numbering. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.

Using a separate document template for each set of styles will be safer, as I wrote. You get the additional benefit of being able to include section-level formatting (such as margins) as well.

Monday, May 12, 2014 10:12 PM