there is no enough disk space RRS feed

• Question

• I am faced another problem when I was creating VM. Around 80%, it paused and the error was "there is not enough space".

I have at least 127 GB available in my hard drive disk. Also, when I tried to create VHD, it allowed me only dynamic, not fixed.

it says you don't have enough disk space when I try to create fixed vhd. What is going on?

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:54 PM

Answers

• So another way around just having the option to create a dynamic dis would be to create the Hard disk first, then the option to create any size you want will be there. Then once the hard disk is created create the vm and select the hard drive you just created.

Generally speaking you will get better performance off a fixed disk then a dynamic disk.

Thanks,
    Brad Held

Windorks.wordpress.com

View Brad Held's LinkedIn profileView Brad Held's profile

• Marked as answer by axyf Friday, February 7, 2014 5:06 AM
    Friday, February 7, 2014 4:34 AM
  • the problem was no disk space in the drive where I was creating the VHds. I moved  130gb to d drive where I was creating the VHDs, and I was able to create fixed size space, then installed the os and everything worked.

thanks for all your help

abdullahi hussein

• Marked as answer by axyf Friday, February 7, 2014 5:13 AM
    Friday, February 7, 2014 5:12 AM

All replies

• All that we can say is that; 'you do not have enough disk space'

This s the only reply to your other thread as well.

There is not enough detail for anyone to guess at any reason.

If you created a VHD and you are installing into a VHD (I am guessing due to the 127GB disk size), you might think you have 127GB, but the physical volume where the VHD lives does not have this much disk space available.

It all depends on where you are within the stack which determines what you see.

This would be my reply to your other thread as well.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:22 PM
  • I am creating 40gb on my VHD, and I have 127gb available, so what do you think?
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:31 PM
  • I think there is more going on in the system (as a whole) than you are aware of.

Page files, RAM save state files, media save locations, it all adds up.

This is one of those things that it is extremely difficult to help with through the passage of time and the use of a keyboard and text.  Experience and eyeballs could probably give a reason in minutes.  But we don't have the luxury here.

A VHD must grow if it is dynamic.  If you create checkpoints, those increase your used disk space. there are many, many possibilities.

You have to investigate and pay careful attention to the various places you are looking.

From your other thread I would already venture that you have multiple physical drive partitions, multiple VHDs, failed attempts at various things, etc.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:14 PM
  • Just to add to what Brian said, it would be helpful if you were to give us a detailed description of your configuration.  Don't really care about processor and monitor and NICs, but your disk configuration.  For example, how many hard drives on the host, how much space is available as shown in Windows Explorer (a screen shot would make it quick and easy to report that).  Then tell us where you are trying to create the VHD.

This would at least give us a little bit to start with.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:51 PM
  • Thanks for all your help.

As it is, I have two partitions on my hard drive. drive c: 127 Gb, 99GB free space. D: drive 34GB, 19 free space.

windows 7 installed first one. windows server installed second one.

the confusion comes from when I check the disk management. it has these two partitions, but also other two partitions. both 35 GB, unallocated resource. The first one I installed Vm but now I deleted it and it is unallocated resource. the second one, I tried to install another vm, but it failed  because I reached the maximum primary disk allowed. That is how I went on creating VHds.

I create these VHds in the hyper-v.

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:35 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by axyf Friday, February 7, 2014 2:06 AM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:13 PM
  • I am still unable to create vms. can anyone tell me why I am getting "not enough disk space"  based on the information provided above? or that I am unable to create VHD in fixed mode? what can I do to fix my hard drive?

abdullahi hussein

Friday, February 7, 2014 2:10 AM
  • I think that we are guessing that there is more going on here than we understand.

If you are creating a "fixed" virtual disk, you must have that amount of space free on the physical disk where that VHD is being created.

This is where a 'dynamic' VHD only occupies the space of the stuff stored within it.  Thus using less actual space.

If you take snapshots, you consume more space.

If you power on a VM, you create a saved space file equal to the amount of RAM that is set for the VM (again, default behavior).

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Friday, February 7, 2014 2:25 AM
  • the good news is that I was able to delete the unallocated space using minitool wizard. Now I have 198gb available, and no problem for my disk. I will let you know what happens now when I try to create VHD using hyper-v and installing OS as before. If the download pauses and the error is no disk space, then I am lost?

abdullahi hussein

Friday, February 7, 2014 3:23 AM
  • So another way around just having the option to create a dynamic dis would be to create the Hard disk first, then the option to create any size you want will be there. Then once the hard disk is created create the vm and select the hard drive you just created.

Generally speaking you will get better performance off a fixed disk then a dynamic disk.

Thanks,
    Brad Held

Windorks.wordpress.com

View Brad Held's LinkedIn profileView Brad Held's profile

• Marked as answer by axyf Friday, February 7, 2014 5:06 AM
    Friday, February 7, 2014 4:34 AM
  • the problem was no disk space in the drive where I was creating the VHds. I moved  130gb to d drive where I was creating the VHDs, and I was able to create fixed size space, then installed the os and everything worked.

thanks for all your help

abdullahi hussein

• Marked as answer by axyf Friday, February 7, 2014 5:13 AM
    Friday, February 7, 2014 5:12 AM