none
Install Mdt 2012 Update 1 on Windows Server 2012 - Powershell not installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello geeks!

Today I tried to install Mdt 2012 Update 1 on a server with OS Windows Server 2012 Standard. I installed the mdt, but when I tried to create a new Deployment Share, I got an error occur. "Powershell is required for interacting with deployment shares. Please install Powershell." And what i'm know, should windows server 2012 comes with powershell 3.0 installed.

Has someone solve this problem ?

//

Emil

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:57 AM

Answers

• MDT 2012 Update 1 does not support Windows Server 2012 SP1. That's a loaded question, there *is* no such thing as Windows Server 2012 SP1 :^).

It's possible that MDT requires Powershell 2.0, do you have all runtime environments installed? You say Powershell 3.0.  Run dism.exe /online /get-features to verify. If you are still having problems, copy the logs to a skydrive share, and post the link.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:59 PM

All replies

• Semi-known issue... see this blog post for details on how to fix it (PoSH Execution Policy issue): http://sccmguy.com/2012/04/25/mdt-2012-with-server-2012-powershell-initialization-error/

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:55 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello!

Thanks for your reply.

I'd tried to set execution policy on powershell to remotesigned and then relaunch mdt, But it continue to notl not work. Any other advices?

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:20 PM
  • It's probably still the Execution-Policy.  Try maybe going even less restrictive (and not scoping to CurrentUser) and see if you can get MDT working.  Then once you do, tighten it back up until it breaks.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:50 PM
    Answerer
  • Hehe, I tried now to set the executionpolicy to Untrestricted. But even though it will not work.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:02 PM
  • I have the same issue with Windows Server 2012 and MDT 2013. MDT 2012 Update 1 and MDT 2013 Preview worked before onto that System. Uninstall/Install of MDT/ADK, Reboot and Execution-Policy Settings didn't helped so far.
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:24 PM
  • Hello NitroAMD!

I still don't get it to work on Windows Server 2012 Sp1. But yesterday when I reinstalled my server with Windows Server 2012 R2 and newly released MDT 2013, it began to work perfectly. But how fun is that, if you have this problem in a large Company, and you need to reinstall the critical server to an Windows Server 2012 R2?!?! Maybe only the way to solve this problem.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:32 PM
  • MDT 2012 Update 1 does not support Windows Server 2012 SP1. That's a loaded question, there *is* no such thing as Windows Server 2012 SP1 :^).

It's possible that MDT requires Powershell 2.0, do you have all runtime environments installed? You say Powershell 3.0.  Run dism.exe /online /get-features to verify. If you are still having problems, copy the logs to a skydrive share, and post the link.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:59 PM
  • Firstly I activated .Net 3.5 (had issues too resp. "lodctr /r" helped out here) too but that didn't helped out. But the hint from Keith is excellent:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Install-WindowsFeature -name PowerShell-V2

Success Restart Needed Exit Code      Feature Result
    ------- -------------- ---------      --------------
    True    No             Success        {Windows PowerShell 2.0 Engine}

+++SOLVED+++

Why? I don't have a clue for now but it can be related to some older Powershell Snappins or some old references to the older MDT installation.

Thank you - Keith , Emil, David!

• Edited by NitroAMD Wednesday, October 23, 2013 10:19 AM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 10:18 AM
  • Hi All

I am having the same issue.

Environment Windows 2012 and MDT 2013

To fix it as suggested above, when I give the following command from Powershell as Administrator

Install-WindowsFeature -name PowerShell-V2

It says installation of one or more roles or  role services or features faild.

May be it is looking for .Net 3.5 path. how do we assign it?

Thanks

Bosco

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:55 AM
  • I had this issue as well - I think it was after I upgraded the server (running 2012 R2) to WMF 5.0. I was able to fix the issue by mounting a Server 2012 R2 ISO and running the following in powershell:

Install-WindowsFeature -name powershell-v2 -Source E:\sources\sxs

Eric Hodges

Friday, August 5, 2016 1:21 PM