meta tag for EmulateIE7 is not behaving the same as clicking Compatible View button on IE8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I faced some differences between putting meta tag and clicking Compatible View button on IE8 to force IE8 running in IE7 compatible mode:

If I putting meta tag, a grid control's column resizing will not function; instead, I clicking compatible view button the grid columns can be resized no any problem.

So, that means that these two approaches which are supposed to work exactly the same are not as microsoft promised. Does somebody know how to make IE8 behave just like clicking Compatible view button via putting meta tag?

Many thanks,

Mark

• Moved by tonysoper_MSFT Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:09 PM wrong forum (From:TechNet Wiki Discussion)
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Mark,

Based on your situaiton, it is better to create a new thread in http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/iewebdevelopment/threads. Your question may raise up more discussion there. Your understanding is appriciated.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Tuesday, May 3, 2011 7:37 AM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Will this happen to any website?

Have you tried IE7 mode?

I noticed the difference between IE7 mode and Emulate IE7 mode.

Emulate IE7 mode tells Internet Explorer to use the <!DOCTYPE> directive to determine how to render content. Standards mode directives are displayed in Internet Explorer 7 standards mode and quirks mode directives are displayed in IE5 mode. Unlike IE7 mode, Emulate IE7 mode respects the <!DOCTYPE> directive. For many Web sites, this is the preferred compatibility mode.

IE7 mode renders content as if it were displayed by Internet Explorer 7's standards mode, whether or not the page contains a <!DOCTYPE> directive.

For more information, visit http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288325(VS.85).aspx

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, July 16, 2010 10:55 AM
  • Actually I have no any DocType declaration on the page. The reason I am trying to put the meta tag is:

When I view my page in IE8 because the page has no DocType element then IE8 will render the page in Quirk Mode. And I am seeing an Infragistics Grid control column resizing is not working any more. But I realized that resizing works fine if I manually switch to Compatible Mode.

Then I try to add the Meta tag in order to force IE8 running at EmulateIE7 mode in order to get the resizing behavior working. But I couldn't succeed.

I want to see whether the issue I am facing is common or not. For my case I have an Infragistics grid control on the page and the grid control's column resizing is not working when I trigger EmulateIE7 mode via Meta tag approach instead of manually switching. If this issue is not common to others at all I would image that the issue is caused by Infragistics control I am using.  

Thanks,

Mark.

Friday, July 16, 2010 3:37 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Based on your situaiton, it is better to create a new thread in http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/iewebdevelopment/threads. Your question may raise up more discussion there. Your understanding is appriciated.

Regards,

• Marked as answer by Magon Liu Tuesday, May 3, 2011 7:37 AM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:01 AM