none
Duplicated Tasks when I open a project from Project Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am seeing some strange behavior when opening a project from Project Server 2010 for editing or Read only in Project Professional 2010. My schedule is relatively simple with about 200 lines of tasks and about 5 resource assigned to each task. When I view or edit the schedule in Server, everything looks OK. When I open in Professional, I have some tasks duplicated and/or reordered. Even stranger, the resource assignments are duplicate in some cases, not duplicated in others, and sometimes from another tasks altogether. I looked at the GUID for the tasks and resource assignments...all seem to be unique.

For the most part, I open the schedule in Professional from Server, make edits, save and republish. Many of my resources are Enterprise Resources, but not all.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jessica

Jessica Hancock

Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Jessica,

Try clearing local cache of Project Pro.

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by JRH15 Friday, September 28, 2012 3:41 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Opening published database copy of project plan using project pro

Activity status

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 9:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Jessica,

Try clearing local cache of Project Pro.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Hrishi,

That seems to have done the trick. Thank you so much for your reply!

Jessica Hancock

Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:37 PM
  • Hrishi,

I actually have a follow up question regarding the errors I was getting. In the example I was explaining before, I noticed right away that the schedule was corrupt and I didn't make any changes or save and publish to the server. Do you know what would happen if a user didn't notice, made edits to the schedule, and saved and published to the server? Would the schedule on the server now be corrupt as well? This seems like a huge risk but i have seen other posts that say users shouldn't clear the cache on a regular basis either.

Thanks,

Jessica

Jessica Hancock

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:06 PM
  •  

Jessica,

Glad to hear that main issue has been resolved. I think if user continue to work on corrupted local cache, during save or publish operation may get that red icon indicating error in cache.

To check project status, either open project plan in PWA or while opening project plan in pro, select store as "Published"

In this scenario, project plan on server was not corrupt, its local cached copy causing the problem

Most if the time local cache corruption occurs when synchronization between server and client is interrupted

e.g. PM is working on fairly big project plan and made  lot of changes, he\she clicks save or publish button and realize that needs to attend very import meeting and without looking at job status in a hurry closes his\her laptop.  Now in this scenario Project Server is expecting data and now we have mismatch between server and client copy. (Note, even though we have steps it’s really hard to reproduce this scenario since it’s also depends on other factors like server performance etc.)

Another example is network connection is dropped, or if poor data card connection.

Yes, in the past we used to recommend clearing local cache but not now. Unless required.

You may need to educate your Project Managers a rule which I call as 10 second rule. When save or publish is initiated from client, wait until status is displayed as completed successfully and count 1-10 before closing project application. You may observe less corruption of local cache if everyone follows this rule

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:58 PM
  • Thanks Hrishi,

One follow up question, what do you mean by "check project status"? I cannot find the option to select store as "Published."

Jessica

Jessica Hancock

Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:10 PM
  • Opening published database copy of project plan using project pro

Activity status

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Thursday, September 27, 2012 9:42 PM