none
Copy DPM backups to alternate disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am trying out DPM 2010 and I like it allot.  I have one question though. I really want to copy the DPM backup to a alternate disc for off-site purposes. My company went from small DAT tape drives to using discs as the rotation media. We have heavily invested in this method and they are not prepared to go back to tape based rotation media as it would cost to much. I have seen the Tape drive emulators, really do not like that idea. I want to copy the data on the day it is supposed to without using an emulator.

How could I achieve this ?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 3:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Can you please elaborate why you want to have media rotation, and what is the freequency at which you want to rotate the media? Media rotation has overheads like incremental backups break and need to sync files again from beginning. If your need is to add an offsiting backup solution for DPM then you can look for Disaster Protection using secondary DPM server as an option. But if the recovery range is too far Disaster protection can't help also might be the same in case of disk rotation approach that you are suggesting. Can you please take a look at Disaster protection using a secondary DPM server and see if it meets your requirements?
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:53 PM
  • OK, let me re-phrase the question to make it more simple. DPM makes a backup of a virtual server running on a Hyper V cluster. I want to copy the backup to a alternate disk drive so that I can be restored to a offline DRP site. How do I access the backed up files to be able to copy it to other media ?
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:01 AM
  • Although something like http://www.firestreamer.com/fs/ is ideal for your situation but if you do not want to use it, you could try and script something yourself using DPMBackup.exe and xcopy.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795753.aspx

-fahd

Friday, July 16, 2010 10:07 AM
  • As Fahd suggested you can use Firestreamer kind of applications, but if you just want to verify that backup can be restored to offline DRP site, probably you can do drive the recovery using DPM server itself, but you might need clear/create up some environmental changes so that the restored system on DRP site don't collide with the production/protected server.
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:46 AM