none
DPM & CRCL in Exchange RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am creating a new 2016 Exchange environment. 1 DAG, 4x Servers, 2x Data centers (2 Servers in each data center)

I am trying to use the preferred architecture as much as possible & so was planning to use Exchange Native Data Protection however my boss also wants to use a more traditional backup method alongside it with no more than a potential for 1 days worth of data loss.

I am looking into using DPM for the backups however I can't seem to find information that describes using DPM to backup Exchange that is using CRCL.

I understand that normally you would rely on the backups to truncate the log files but in this scenario i'd like to use CRCL if possible & so this would not be needed.

Will DPM still still be able to perform regular synchronizations and 1-2 express full backups per day with CRCL enabled or will the backups fail (or be unusable) due to not having the transaction logs present?

Thanks, Jon

Monday, October 29, 2018 4:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Jon,

As far as I know circular logging was not supported in earlier versions of DPM and it caused backups to fail.

I don't see anything mentioned about it in the the new DPM releases either, which might indicate that it's not supported.

I have a lot of customers that use DPM to backup Exchange, and they all have CRCL disabled, because DPM will take care of the logs.

The only thing that I could find regarding the new DPM releases is:

"Configure one full backup per day, and a synchronization frequency to suit your requirements for Exchange log truncations. When protecting more than one copy of an Exchange mailbox database (for example, when protecting members of a DAG), configure one node for full backups and the rest for copy backups. Copy backups do not truncate log files."

Reference
    Backup Exchange with DPM

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Wednesday, November 7, 2018 10:21 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2018 7:20 PM
  • Hi Leon,

Yeah thats the same information that I dug up. I think you are probably right and the lack of information clarifying this likely means it isn't possible but it would be nice to have had this confirmed in the documentation.

Thanks, Jon

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 3:36 PM
  • If you are still going forward and use DPM, then your safest choice is to have CRCL disabled I'm afraid.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 8:06 AM