MS Print to PDF Not Saving RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm having issues with the Microsoft Print to PDF printer.  When one of my users tries to print to pdf and save in to a folder, the document does not show up.  If we open up windows explorer, it will show up in the recent files, but it will not show up in the folder it was saved in.  When I try to open it from recent documents, it says that something is wrong with the file.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe and that worked for a short while (like a couple documents), uninstalling and reinstalling the Microsoft Print to PDF printer in Devices and Printer, but no luck, and turning windows feature on and off, but the problem still persists.

We are running windows 10.  I tried running Microsoft updates, but no luck.

Friday, November 10, 2017 9:47 PM

All replies

1. Press Windows Key + S and enter windows features. 
    2. Select Turn Windows features on or off from the menu.
    3. When Windows Features window opens, locate Microsoft Print to PDF and disable it. 
    4. Click OK to save changes.Restart your PC.
    5. When your PC restarts, repeat the same steps and enable Microsoft Print to PDF again.Click OK to save changes

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Friday, November 10, 2017 11:48 PM
  • Hi,

From my search, you need to note these points:

1.Make sure you have a default printer selected, take the tick out of the box that says Let Windows manage my default printer, and then Go to the related settings and devices and printers.

Right click on one of the printers or the MS Print to PDF and make as default.

2.Ensure No Commas in the PDF File Name

3.Using the latest build of Windows 10.

There is a good article introducing how to fix Microsoft Print to PDF Not Working issue. Hope it can give you some ideas.

Top 6 Solutions to Fix Microsoft Print to PDF Not Working on Windows 10

http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/microsoft-print-to-pdf-not-working-windows-10.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 13, 2017 7:07 AM
  • Hi S.Sengupta,

Op mentioned that he has tried turning windows feature on and off, problem still persists. Please note.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 13, 2017 7:11 AM
  • Would you mind letting me know the update of the problem? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:52 AM
  • I have this problem - nothing appears if the output is not a local folder on the computer. If you try to print to a folder that's a network share it doesn't work. While printing to a local folder and copying the resulting PDF file to the network share is a viable workaround it should not be necessary.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2018 12:44 PM
  • I encountered this problem trying to create a PDF file whose name did not have any commas in it, but which still never appeared anywhere after the print process was completed. The "remove commas" suggestion is correct as stated in the replies below, but it does not go far enough.

Be aware that there cannot be any commas ANYWHERE IN THE FULLY QUALIFIED NAME, including in any of the directories in the save path. In my case, the third directory up from where I wanted to save had a comma in its name; fixing that (hyphens are acceptable) made the print work properly.

Also, if you are saving to a network drive with the naming style \\SERVER\DIRECTORY\...\FILENAME.PDF, there cannot be any pound signs (hash marks, "#", whatever you call it) in the file name OR ANYWHERE IN THE FULLY QUALIFIED NAME, again meaning any directories in the save path.
    • Proposed as answer by ERQuinones Sunday, July 8, 2018 5:52 PM
    Sunday, July 8, 2018 5:52 PM