Sequencing Oracle ODBC Drivers with AppV 5 RRS feed

• Question

• So I'm trying to package Oracle 11gR2 32 bit client on Windows7 64 bit with AppV 5 sp3. This is trivial on AppV 4.6 but does not seem to work on AppV 5 using the same process. Here's what I'm doing, please let me know what I'm doing wrong.

1. If I try installing "Administrator" mode I get the following error no matter what I do. Strangely it doesn't give this error during sequencing, it does it at the very last step when it says package completed. It lets me continue and publish. I get the same results as below.

Resources I think are fine. I've checked CPU Memory and Disk and increased them to 2 cpu 2 gb ram 50gb disk. Which should be more than enough. The package size is not too large, its only about 500mb, I have larger and I don't know what could be creating a sharing violation. Nothing is running.

The virtual package could not be saved because an internal error occurred. For details, consult the sequencer event log. Typical reasons for save failures include:
    1) Package size is too large.
    2) Sharing violation - another application is blocking access to a file in the package.

Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

2. If I try just the instaClient install I do not get any errors during packaging or publishing

- For the next bullets note I have tried packaging several different methods. I tried different combinations of removed exclusions, merging the odbc reg keys, checking the 3 checkboxes on the advanced tab and it didn't seem to make a difference

- I added a test ODBC connection in both System and User using the 32bit ODBC app in SYSWOW64 during sequencing with no issues

- the only option I change during the install is the path (Oracle Home folder) to C:\Oracle

3. I then publish the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe (also also tried MSAccess in a connection group)

4. When I launch odbcad32 from the client (or MSAccess when I tried it) I do not have any options for the Oracle driver to create a connection.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

• Edited by kilimanj99 Tuesday, May 19, 2015 6:46 PM typo
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 6:34 PM

All replies

• Did you also try to install to PVAD instead of VFS? With SP3 and above PVAD is hidden by default, so start the sequencer.exe with the following parameter to get it back:

–EnablePVADControl

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 1:55 PM
  • I'll try that today.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 2:22 PM
  • No dice using a PVAD :(

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 7:08 PM
  • What happens if you try to sequence it on a 32-bit machine?
    Tuesday, May 26, 2015 2:46 PM
  • No 32 bit machines... prefer not to build one either. This works great on appv 4.6 on the same OS (even the same image just a different sequencer installed) you would think everything that works in the previous version would work in the new version...oh wait I forgot AppV5 is really a version 1.0. Acts more like a 0.1.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 2:50 PM
  • Question:

Do you have more than one connection group active?

If so, is the CG with your current oracle client application having the highest priority (lowest number)?

Monday, February 27, 2017 1:48 PM
  • No connection groups. Working with Microsoft we did find you need to turn off DEP and it will at least sequence but when trying to even look at the odbc on the client it crashes. I do this several different ways, one is publishing odbc32, the odbc string is there but as soon as highlighted it crashes.

I have tried sequencing this with Microsoft's top AppV guy, Steven Thomas, and we had the same results.

Monday, February 27, 2017 1:55 PM
  • Ill reach out to Steve to find out more.
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 4:46 PM
  • Do you still have problems creating a package of this client?

I am surprised that you had trouble with sequencing this Oracle client version. Two years ago I sequenced the same version (11gR2 32 bit) successfully on Windows 7 64 bit with AppV 5. I don't remember the exact version of AppV 5 that time. I also don't remember if I initially had problems to get it working.

Because I am interested, I just made a new sequence with App-V 5.1 and published it. During sequencing I chose InstantClient and changed the Software Location to 'c:\Oracle\product\11.2.0\client_1'. I did not experience any trouble and I can create 32 bit ODBC connections on the machine where I've published it. Both 'Microsoft ODBC for Oracle' and 'Oracle in OraClient11g_home1'.

So, for the record it should work.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 5:18 PM
  • We've tried several different sequencer builds and 5 different people without telling them what the other did. All had the same outcome. Sequencers are bare bones Win7 nothing but what is needed to install the sequencer. 

I don't know what version you got it working or to what state yours is working but you may want to double check it that it works on a published machine.

With DEP on it crashes everytime. With DEP off it sequences however when selecting the ODBC connection in ODBC32.exe it crashes immediately.

This worked fine on AppV4 and even AppV3, yes I'm an old timer and have packaged several thousand applications.

The one thing I did not try is sequencing on a physical machine or using a different hypervisor. We use VMWare Workstation 10-12 depending which attempt. Win 7 flat, no updates, patches, domains, etc.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 8:24 PM