Forefront & excel RRS feed

• Question

• We have started to deploy Forefront in a small group of our network and are running into a small issue on our file server.

After the install of forefront on our file server it seems that Excel files accessed with Excel 2003 are creating .TMP files in the same directory, but when the excel file is closed these temp files dont go away. When Forefront is disabled on the server this issue goes away.

Also is there a way to prevent Forefront from scanning mapped netowrk drives without having to put each drive letter in to the do not scan list?
    Monday, March 10, 2008 10:13 PM

Answers

• Turns out the issue was not with excel but something to do with DoubleTake and FCS, i was not able to oversee the possible fix as i left the company before it was implemented but doubletake suggested installing the newer newest version, as we were running one build older then the current version.
    Network Analyst
    • Proposed as answer by Sean Boudreau Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Boudreau Thursday, January 3, 2013 8:37 PM
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:44 PM

All replies

• It now appears that it is not isolated to Excel 2003 it is also happening on Excel 2007.
    So far it only appears to effect windows XP systems, both Vista and our Thin Client OS (citrix/wyse)seem to be fine.
    Forefront is installed on the File server, Citrix servers and all the PC's we are testing on. Forefront is set not to scan the drive letters that we map on the network.

I have confirmed it is Forefront causing the problem. When i disable it on the file server the excel issue goes away.

any ideas? im seriously looking at another AV solution now because of this.
    Monday, March 17, 2008 7:59 PM
  • Turns out the issue was not with excel but something to do with DoubleTake and FCS, i was not able to oversee the possible fix as i left the company before it was implemented but doubletake suggested installing the newer newest version, as we were running one build older then the current version.
    Network Analyst
    • Proposed as answer by Sean Boudreau Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Boudreau Thursday, January 3, 2013 8:37 PM
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:44 PM
  • Hello Sean, did u solve this problem ?
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 11:45 AM