No ports in Routing and Remote Access RRS feed

• Question

• I installed routing and remote access. But whenever I restart the server, I can not connect to VPN anymore. (I am using PPTP for simplicity.) It says server may have exceeded the connection limit. On checking, I found that the ports list in RRAS Manager was empty. When I tried to restart RRAS, it stuck on please wait while RRAS restarts. I have to restart the whole Server. Where might be the problem.
    Sunday, May 10, 2020 6:01 AM

Answers

• Something here might help.

https://www.thomasmaurer.ch/2018/05/how-to-install-vpn-on-windows-server-2019/

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Bhavya32 Wednesday, May 13, 2020 8:33 AM
    Sunday, May 10, 2020 12:37 PM
  • Hi,
    I’m wondering what’s the version of your Windows server which has Routing and Remote Access installed?
    >> On checking, I found that the ports list in RRAS Manager was empty.

Do you mean the ports here are empty on your server?
    If my understanding is wrong, please feel free to correct me.
    Generally, we suggest that you can patch your system with fully windows updates if possible to see whether this issue resolves.
    Based on your description, it seems that the Routing and Remote Access service may crash on your server. I’m wondering do you have several clients connected to your server concurrently?
    If you are using Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2, you may refer to the following link which introduces a similar issue with you. 

The Routing and Remote Access service may crash when there are several connections established concurrently on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2

Hope this can help you.

Best regards,

Phoebe Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, May 11, 2020 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your issue was resolved.

I'm wondering did you configure active directory and RRAS on a same machine? Generally, this kind of configuration is not recommended. Fortunately, there is no problem at the moment. You can mark the helpful replies as answered to finish this thread.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best regards,

Phoebe Wu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 8:27 AM

All replies

• Something here might help.

https://www.thomasmaurer.ch/2018/05/how-to-install-vpn-on-windows-server-2019/

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, May 10, 2020 12:37 PM
  • Hi,
    I’m wondering what’s the version of your Windows server which has Routing and Remote Access installed?
    >> On checking, I found that the ports list in RRAS Manager was empty.

Do you mean the ports here are empty on your server?
    If my understanding is wrong, please feel free to correct me.
    Generally, we suggest that you can patch your system with fully windows updates if possible to see whether this issue resolves.
    Based on your description, it seems that the Routing and Remote Access service may crash on your server. I’m wondering do you have several clients connected to your server concurrently?
    If you are using Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2, you may refer to the following link which introduces a similar issue with you. 

The Routing and Remote Access service may crash when there are several connections established concurrently on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2

Hope this can help you.

Best regards,

Phoebe Wu

Monday, May 11, 2020 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations. Was your issue resolved?

If the information provided is helpful, please mark my previous replies as answered.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards, 

Phoebe Wu

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 1:54 AM
  • Yes, the issue was resolved. I do not know how. I just removed active directory(i installed it just for learning). Now the strangest part is that server manager tell RRAS is installed but there is no RRAS Manager anywhere... Luckily, it is working in way I pre-configured it. There is no problem at the moment.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2020 6:19 AM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your issue was resolved.

I'm wondering did you configure active directory and RRAS on a same machine? Generally, this kind of configuration is not recommended. Fortunately, there is no problem at the moment. You can mark the helpful replies as answered to finish this thread.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best regards,

Phoebe Wu

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 8:27 AM