Appv and RemoteApp TS2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Does anyone test RemoteApp Terminal Services on Windows 2008 server with Appv client 4.5 ... ?

I'll try TS Win2k8 with Appv client 4.5. Example a user connect with mstsc to TS Win2k8 and got his own published application ... and it work ... but now how to use RemoteApp .. ?

Thanks for your help ...

Monday, February 9, 2009 5:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• It sounds like your question is how to use Remote App and not App-V.  I just want to clarify.

This link provides guidance around step by step instructions for using Remote App for Terminal Services. 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730673.aspx

The big difference is that you have to point it to sfttray and then pass it the name of the program.  This is really easy to do, if you look at an virtual app shortcut the path that the short cut points to will be sfttray.exe /launch "Program Name" .  My syntax may be a little off here as I am low on sleep today.

The only other issue is around the ICO.  Remote app allows you to point to the ICO to package with the remote app.  This piece will only work if you are pointing the ico location to a .exe or .dll with embedded ico.  Even though the wizard for remote app allows you to point to an .ico file it will not work. 

Tell me if this helps

mattmcdermott
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:30 PM
  • Thx Mattmcdermott ...

Exactly ... how to use Remote App .... so I find with you help and this url :
    Dave Northey's Blog
    A comment explain :
    "In short:

Add a new remote app program, browse to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SoftGrid\Microsoft SoftGrid Application Virtualization for Terminal Services\sfttray.exe". Select properties, change the RemoteApp Program Name to the name of the application you intend to publish, give a good alias, and select the option to "Always use the following command line arguments". Enter the UNC path of the OSD file. You can add /hide to the argument list if you want."

Thx to Michael Kennedy for this comment

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 4:47 PM
  • Regarding the ICO issue....

I have a work-around!  I developed a script that you run pointing to your content share.  The script looks for icon folders and creates a dll that contains the icons in the subfolder.  So right next to the sft on the share is a dll that contains the ico.  When adding the remote app using the instructions provided, you only need to change the icon by pointing to this dll (and visually selecting the appropriate image if there are more than one icons in the package).

The script needs to be run on a machine that has write access to the share and needs the "link" program from one of Microsoft's developer tool products.  If anyone needs the script contact me directly.

Tim Mangan

Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:43 PM
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, March 10, 2012 5:06 PM
    Friday, May 1, 2009 7:20 AM
  • Hello,

The issue doesn't seem to exist in 2008 R2, when used with 4.6 beta.

/Znack
    Monday, September 21, 2009 7:56 PM