none
Backup Windows 2012R2 guest in Windows 2012 host but "Backup Using Saved State"

Question

• Hi,

I'm using Veeam backup for our Windows Server 2012 cluster. It's working fine for all VMs (guest OS version from Windows Server 2008 to 2012R2) but I can't save the latest added 2012R2 guest. With Veeam Support we find out the problem is the following: In the guest the Diskshadow reports "Caption: Backup Using Saved State" for this VM. It looks a Hyper-V problem rather Veeam problem.
    I have checked the following:
    - Backup (Volume Snapshot) Integration Service enabled
    - No dynamic disk in the VM
    - All volumes are NTFS
    - Cluster Resource Group is online
    - VM is running
    - ShadowStorage assigned volume is the same as the volume itself.
    - All VSSwriters in “Stable state”
    - VM has SCSI adapter

The only difference I see to other guests that the problematic server has the Hyper-V integration services version 6.3.9600.18398 (the latest for 2012R2) and the other guests have version 6.3.9600.16384 (2012R2 RTM version)
    The host looks has 6.2.9200.16384 version of integration services even the KB3161609 already installed and integration services should be 6.2.9200.21885

How can I change the Diskshadow state to “Child partion”?
    Can I somehow downgrade the integration services? (I’ve try to remove
    KB3172614 from the guest but no change in the version number.)

I'll appreciate any idea.

Monday, February 20, 2017 11:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Attila69,

>>The host looks has 6.2.9200.16384 version of integration services even the KB3161609 already installed and integration services should be 6.2.9200.21885

Have you restarted the host after installing the KB?

Have you tried with Windows Server backup, is it successful?

>>Can I somehow downgrade the integration services?

As far as I know, I'm afraid not.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 3:10 AM
  • Hi Leo,

Thanks for support me! Of course I restarted the host several times. Cluster aware update also does in each month. J I’m a bit confused of the integration services on the host.
    When I check the any of “Hyper-V…” device then the version is 6.2.9200.16384
    When I check the VMMS.EXE properties then the version is 6.2.9200.17164 (this version not in this official list)
    When I check the installed Windows updates then KB3161609 is installed which points to 6.2.9200.21885
    Which is the real number and how can I be sure to use the latest version on the host?

I didn’t try the Windows Backup, but will if you suggest to do.
    Do you mean to try on the host, or on the guest?
    On the host I suppose get some error because it uses the same way as Veeam does. On the guest I suppose will finish because I tested to create simple Shadow Copy and succeeded.

I will post the result of Windows backup but I can test it only the weekend.
    Till that I'm would be glad to manage Integration services on the host somehow.
    Thanks for your effort,

Attila 

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:39 AM
  • Hi Attila,

>>I didn’t try the Windows Backup, but will if you suggest to do.
    Do you mean to try on the host, or on the guest?

Use Windows Server Backup on host to backup the VMs.

Best Regards,

Leo

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 2:52 AM
  • Hello,

I tested Windows Backup on the host last night. During the selection I saw the problematic server "srv-m...." uses "Saved State" mode.

When I started the process, the VM changed to Saved State successfully as I seen in the Hyper-V management console. Then I got error: "Windows Backup can't backup an application with files on a CSV volume.
    The result is the same in any other VM then it looks by design.
    Veeam can backup other VMs but not srv-m...

Other way to test MS part of the process?

Friday, February 24, 2017 10:24 AM
  • Hi Attila69,

Do you mean the problematic VMs are on CSV? Or all the VMs are on CSV?

Best Regards,

Leo

Monday, February 27, 2017 6:19 AM
  • Hi Leo,

All VMs running from a CSV.

Attila

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:11 AM
  • Hi,

and if you run SAVE on problematic VM (from Hyper-V manager) it actually saves the state of VM?? If not, are there any errors related to SAVE STATE on this VM?

Have you examine event logs for some other information?

Radek

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 11:10 AM
  • Hi all,<o:p></o:p>

Thanks for the effort to support me. Finally we
    accepted the workaround to save the VM without “Application-aware” option by
    Veeam. The disadvantages of this method that I have to restore the whole VM to
    operate and I have to manage the Oracle redo log files manually.<o:p></o:p>

We decided to upgrade our VM hosts/Cluster to Hyper-V
    server 2016 then I hope this will solve this problem too.

Attila<o:p></o:p>

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 9:04 AM