none
Add printer - Windows cannot connect to the printer - Operation failed with error 0x000003e3

Question

• Server OS:
    Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter (All updates installed).
    Client OS:
    Windows 10 Enterprise (1709)(1703), Windows 7. (All updates installed).

After recent windows server updates, it is no longer possible to add printers from "Add Printer" "Find a printer in the directory, based on location or feature"
    It's possible to find the printer but when connecting upon downloading drivers from the print server  - Windows cannot connect to the printer - Operation failed with error 0x000003e3 -

It's still possible to add printers from Windows 2016 datacenter print servers , we only have this issue on our Windows Server 2012 R2 datacenter print servers.
    I've tested one print server without firewall and without antivirus software, issue still persists.
    From the client I can access the print$ share on the print server, ping the printer itself and access the printers web interface from the client and from the print server.
    Client, server and printer can talk to each other also.

Major recent updates installed:
    2017-06 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB4022726)
    2017-09 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB4054519)
    2018-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB4056895)

Also other updates like .NET etc, no updates pending for the server (all available installed).

This needs to be looked into asap.

Best regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem fixed:

As I also wrote below, the problem was with our antivirus (Trend Micro OfficeScan XG) and not any Microsoft updates/patches.

We got a patch from Trend Micro that fixed the add printer problem, but this patch doesn't seem to be public available yet (4440), only 4430 is public available and that one still has issues, that was what we where running before!

The faulty module though is "Predictive Machine Learning" which if disabled you are once again allowed to install printers.

I'd suggest that you either contact Trend Micro, or try disable one (1) client with predictive machine learning and check if you can add printers again.

Best regards

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 10:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Is the problem happening on all clients, including all windows 10 and windows 7?
    Which brand module printer is showing the error?
    Have you tried uninstalling the updates to see if the problem is gone?
    And please check if the windows server 12 R2 printer server is cached into the clients, you could follow the details of operation steps in the following article:
    http://teqsupportit.blogspot.sg/2012/11/print-error-0x000003e3.html
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    In addition, please have a try the following suggestions on windows server 2012 r2 and see if it helps:
    1. Restart printer spooler service
    2. Clear printer spooler folder files under C:\windows\system32\spool\printers
    3. Check if the printer drivers on the server need to be upgraded or not.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 11, 2018 2:30 AM
  • Hi Wendy

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

Is the problem happening on all clients, including all windows 10 and windows 7?

Yes, as I stated in my original post:
    Client OS: Windows 10 Enterprise (1709)(1703), Windows 7. (All updates installed).

Have you tried uninstalling the updates to see if the problem is gone?
    No, I have not and would not want to either, with important security updates due to meltdown & Spectre etc.

And please check if the windows server 12 R2 printer server is cached into the clients, you could follow the details of operation steps in the following article:
    The clients are part of domain and has no issues other than unable to add printers on 2012 r2 servers after the updates.

In addition, please have a try the following suggestions on windows server 2012 r2 and see if it helps:
    1. Restart printer spooler service
    2. Clear printer spooler folder files under C:\windows\system32\spool\printers
    3. Check if the printer drivers on the server need to be upgraded or not.

The print server has been restarted entirely multiple times, when testing with/without antivirus software etc. 
    The print server is one of multiple in our domain, all 2012 R2 is having issues, not only one (1).
    We have a lot of different printers from different manufacturers, HP, Canon, Citizen, Ricoh, etc. these drivers and printers on the same server have been running for a long long time without issues, so I don't think that's an issue here.

Furthermore, those who have the printer installed already can print via. the print server! It's just if clients need to add another printer.

Best regards

Thursday, January 11, 2018 12:50 PM
  • Seems like more are having issues with server 2012 after recent update:

This one is from 5th jan 2018.

Topic:
    error 0x000003e3 when trying to install a shared printer (Server 2012 R2) from a Windows 10 (winver 1703) computer

Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:00 PM
  • Hi,
    Appreciate for update, we are trying our best and looking into this issue right now, and will update you later. We greatly appreciate your understanding and cooperation.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 12, 2018 2:34 AM
  • Not to take over your thread but just to let you know you're not alone. We also encountered a similar issue after installing the 2018-01 rollup on a 2012R2 server. Several clients (Windows 10) were either unable to print or add the printer. I did not see the same error code but in the end i had to remove the printers from the server, reinstall them and share them again to resolve it.

Looking at the printservice logs in the event viewer, it's also filled with errors like these since the update:

Label InternalInstallPrinterDriverFromPackage
    Message pfnPSetupParseInfAndCommitFileQueue failed
    AdditionalInfo -
    InfPath C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\prnbrcl1.inf_amd64_3a388866cb1e4d41\prnbrcl1.inf
    DriverName Brother Laser Type1 Class Driver
    InstallSection -
    ProcessorArchitecture Windows x64
    PackageAware Not package aware
    CoreDriverDependencies -
    LastError 0x0
    HResult

0x80070490

- SetupInstallPrinterDriver
    Label ParseInf
    Message ProcessDriverDependencies failed
    AdditionalInfo -
    InfPath C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\prnbr006.inf_amd64_f156853def526447\prnbr006.inf
    DriverName Brother MFC-7440N
    InstallSection BRM7440N.LPT.GPD
    PackageAware Package aware
    CoreDriverDependencies {D20EA372-DD35-4950-9ED8-A6335AFE79F0} {D20EA372-DD35-4950-9ED8-A6335AFE79F3}
    LastError 0xbc8
    HResult 0x80070bc8

AdditionalInfo -
    InfPath C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpma382a4_x64.inf_amd64_a41345697997c638\hpma382a4_x64.inf
    DriverName HP Color LaserJet M553 PCL-6
    InstallSection -
    CoreDriverDependencies -
    LastError 0x0
    HResult

0x80070490

AdditionalInfo -
    InfPath C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\prnxxcl3.inf_amd64_ad754b8eaeb68509\prnxxcl3.inf
    DriverName Xerox PCL6 Class Driver
    InstallSection -
    CoreDriverDependencies -
    LastError 0x0
    HResult 0x80070490

And then these print errors:

- UserData
    - PrintOnProcFailedEd
    Param1 Print Document
    Param2 [removed]
    Param3 HP Color LaserJet M553
    Param4 RAW
    Param5 2529
    Param6 0
    Param7 1
    Param8 0
    Param9 [removed]
    Param10 6
    Param11 The handle is invalid.  

Friday, January 12, 2018 9:24 AM
  • Hi Wendy

Any news? The issue still persists and no windows updates are available yet.

Best regards

Monday, January 15, 2018 7:02 AM
  • Can someone include the c:\windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log file from the client machine when this fails? 

The offending driver files can usually be identified when searching !!! in the log.

Thanks

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 3:07 AM
    Answerer
  • UPDATE!

Found the error, turns out that our problems are caused by Trend Micro OfficeScan XG antivirus application (Latest build incl. critical patches).

Unloading OfficeScan on the client was not enough, if uninstalled entirely on the Client machine, it's possible to install printers again. Installing OfficeScan client immediately causes the problem again.

I'm in the process of creating support ticket at Trend Micro.

• Proposed as answer by Mr_Shah Wednesday, January 24, 2018 12:55 AM
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 8:14 AM
  • Just jumping in here to add we have the exact same issue and it was resolved with patching on 16/1/2018
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 10:53 PM
  • We also have the same issue, multiple print makes/models and can't map a printer (UAC prompts across all client OS versions).

Is there a patch released after 14/1/2018 that fixes this? If not, how else did you resolve it (removing KB4056895?)

Monday, January 22, 2018 1:28 PM
  • @Baker_999

Our problem was caused by Trend Micro OfficeScan XG, if you have that I suggest that you create a case by Trend Micro.

You can try and disable the "Predictive Machine Learning" module on one of your clients and do a test yourself.

That's the faulty module that needs to be patched/fixed by Trend Micro and that was the cause of us not being able to add the printer from the print server, so the updates from Microsoft was not an issue on our site.

Best regards

Monday, January 22, 2018 2:51 PM
  • Same probleme here, with OfficeScan. Seems not to be related to Windows patches.
    • Proposed as answer by Mr_Shah Wednesday, January 24, 2018 12:56 AM
    Monday, January 22, 2018 2:53 PM
  • Just jumping in here to add we have the exact same issue and it was resolved with patching on 16/1/2018
    Seems like we jumped to conclusions a bit quick here, it did seem to be resolved as all our test machines added printers fine after the latest round of Windows patches but we have had another room come up that still has the problem. Confirmed that removing Trend allows the install.
    Monday, January 22, 2018 8:09 PM
  • Thanks Guys, Solved our issue by reading this one. Our issue also to do with OfficeScan XG. I have opened support case with Trend Micro today. 

We have work-around the issue as below. 

1. Unload/Disable OfficeScan XG on client PC
    2. Install/Connect at least one Windows Network Print Queue
    3. Enable OfficeScan XG
    4. Officescan XG now allows to add more Windows Network Print Queue

• Proposed as answer by Mr_Shah Wednesday, January 24, 2018 12:56 AM
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 12:51 AM
  • Problem solved with an HotFix from Trend "osce_xg_sp1_win_en_hfb4417.exe"

Thursday, February 01, 2018 3:18 PM
  • Great! Do you have a link?
    Saturday, February 03, 2018 11:44 PM
  • Thank you for your update "Problem fixed". I searched a long time, thought it was a MS Windows problem and didn't found a solution, but after reading your post and after I disabled "Predictive Machine Learning" I can add printers again.

Best regards

Stefan

Thursday, February 08, 2018 2:11 PM
  • @Stefan

Thanks for the feedback, always nice to know it was helpful to others.

Best regards

Friday, February 09, 2018 9:22 AM
  • Thank you for posting that.  This is exactly the fix that I needed to perform.   I temporarily disabled the Trend OfficeScan XG software and was able to install the printer driver without issue!
    Monday, February 26, 2018 11:19 PM
  • I wanted to add to this - When you Unload the OfficeScan XG Client client and the icon disappears, that still isn't enough - at least not immediately - Go into Services and make sure both OfficeScan Auto start services (OfficeScan NT Listener Service and OfficeScan NT Realtime Scan Service) fully stop before doing anything printing wise. 

We're running 4430 like the parent is/was and have had the same issue since the Spectre saga started.   

Friday, March 02, 2018 1:57 AM
  • We're also running 4430 and had the problem. We've requested support from trend micro and they share with us a download link with OfficeScan XG 4456 installation package which definitely solved the problem. I don't know why they don't have officially released it, but there is already a fix from Trend Micro, just ask its support service.
    Tuesday, March 06, 2018 1:35 PM
  • I would like to chime in on this, since no one is posting root cause about why printer driver installation fails.  It is the print spooler HTTP port getting interfered.

You need at least XG SP1 build 4440, according to a trendmicro support guy.  The release note stated below:

Issue 1

Critical Patch 4406 (SEG-17879)

After upgrading to OfficeScan XG SP1, the OfficeScan agent program and some other applications (for example, Print spooler) may encounter an HTTP service issue.

Solution:

This hotfix ensures that OfficeScan agents do not stop the HTTP service allowing other applications to function normally after upgrading to OfficeScan XG SP1.

Monday, April 16, 2018 1:15 PM
  • Where are you seeing version 4440?  On the Trends website I can only see 4430 as the latest version.  All 4430 seems to do is set the registry key to allow Windows updates to work.

• Edited by Griff389 Thursday, May 10, 2018 2:58 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2018 2:57 PM
  • You MUST call into support to get at least 4440 which is ... insane.  Post one of the betas or something, Trend...  

I'm writing my Trend Account Manager who happened to call this morning and waving this at her so maybe light a fire here.  

Thursday, May 17, 2018 4:26 PM
  • Thanks.

I already have a support ticket for SMEX, so will open another support ticket for this issue with Officescan too.

Also thanks for the tip about leaving it until services are fully stopped after 'unloading' Officescan.  I must have been just waiting until the icon disappeared and assuming it was unloaded.
    After waiting a while when unloading, drivers and other niggles I had installed ok without needing to uninstall it.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 4:33 PM
  • I've been advised to add ChannelLevel=0 to the servers config file.

Basically the same as this article 
    https://success.trendmicro.com/solution/1119708-installation-fails-when-attempting-to-update-the-dymo-labelwriter-printer-driver

• Edited by Griff389 Friday, May 18, 2018 7:44 AM
    Friday, May 18, 2018 7:43 AM