Sharepoint 2007 Content Database size is 54 GB while in Storage Space Allocation it is only 17 GB RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Sharepoint 2007 with SP2 on SQL Server 2005.

I am wondering why my sharepoint 2007 site's MDF file is 54 GB. 

Then I checked Site Collection Administration> Storage Space Allocation and there it is using only 16 GB.

Where other space has been consumed. How I will free the space?

I have also tried DBCC SHRINKDATABASE and DBCC SHRINKFILE. but no help in reducing the size.

Thanks to all in advance

Vinay Kumar Singh

• Edited by VinaySingh Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:09 PM Additional information
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:43 AM "waiting for the support" removed. Do not push us; simply wait.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:44 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:03 PM

Answers

• Vinay, 

Try doing the following. 

• Backup your sharepoint databases
    • Change the Recovery mode of the database -> right click the database and select properties. In recovery model settings, if it is set to FULL, set it to Simple. 
    • Shrink that excessive log file. - Right click database, select tasks, select shrink, select Files. 
    • In Shirnk file dialog, switch it to log. The shrink action should be set to release unused space. and click ok. 

Hope this helps. 

V
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:22 PM

All replies

• Vinay, 

Try doing the following. 

• Backup your sharepoint databases
    • Change the Recovery mode of the database -> right click the database and select properties. In recovery model settings, if it is set to FULL, set it to Simple. 
    • Shrink that excessive log file. - Right click database, select tasks, select shrink, select Files. 
    • In Shirnk file dialog, switch it to log. The shrink action should be set to release unused space. and click ok. 

Hope this helps. 

V
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Hi,

have you enabled Audit Logs? If yes then you can delete them to clear your space.

You can refer this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc706879(office.12).aspx .

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:50 PM
  • I haven't enabled the auditing on my SharePoint site.
    Vinay Kumar Singh
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:25 PM