Modify Health Analyzer Rules RRS feed

• Question

• I get constant warnings about disk space in SharePoint Health Analyzer because we keep our drive space pretty lean on our VMs. I'd like to change this rule so that instead of requiring double the amount of RAM, it requires a fixed amount like 2gb before it warns us.

Is that possible? I see lots of guides on how to change the frequency of this health check or how to disable it but I don't want it disabled. I just want it to report useful information instead of harassing me with things I'm well aware of...

Friday, November 4, 2011 9:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Keith,

Health rules are executable code. Each rule is a concrete subclass that inherits from either one of two abstract classes: SPHealthAnalysisRule or SPRepairableHealthAnalysisRule. In both cases, the code that detects and reports a potential problem is in the Check method. Repairable health rules also have a Repair method that fixes a problem found by the Check method.

Unless your a developer the easiest thing to do is to edit the rule so the timer job runs OnDemandOnly,

Reference the following article describes the SharePoint Health Analyzer rule "Drives are running out of free space", and describes how to free disk space on the server computer.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff805057.aspx

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders.
    • Marked as answer by Keith Work Monday, November 7, 2011 2:18 PM
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 2:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Keith,

Health rules are executable code. Each rule is a concrete subclass that inherits from either one of two abstract classes: SPHealthAnalysisRule or SPRepairableHealthAnalysisRule. In both cases, the code that detects and reports a potential problem is in the Check method. Repairable health rules also have a Repair method that fixes a problem found by the Check method.

Unless your a developer the easiest thing to do is to edit the rule so the timer job runs OnDemandOnly,

Reference the following article describes the SharePoint Health Analyzer rule "Drives are running out of free space", and describes how to free disk space on the server computer.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff805057.aspx

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders.
    • Marked as answer by Keith Work Monday, November 7, 2011 2:18 PM
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 2:05 AM
  • Thanks - that's a thorough answer. :)
    Monday, November 7, 2011 2:19 PM