none
Exch2007 Server Died - Rebuilt, now need to restore, HELP ! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Was running Win2008 & Exchange 2007 (SP2)......
    Server died this morning, failed RAID :( 
    I use Symantec BackupExec 12.5, and have a backup of the Info Store & Logs (and the folder containing my SSL cert for OWA access)

I had already built a new Server with a different name and installed Exchange 2007 (SP3), as was looking to move all mailboxes from the old physical server onto the VM Server.....   But the server crash got there first. :( :(
    When I log into that server and look at mailboxes, it can see the mailboxes (well, the names),
    But as the server no longer exists, how do I get back to normal ?

Do I rebuild my server, although would be Windows 2008R2 & Exchange 2007 (SP3), with the same name and same IP address as before....
    Restore the database to the recovery storage group (if it lets me) ?  
    How would I go about restoring data into the mailbox database.edb  which would be auto created in the "first storage group" ?

Am very lost here and out of my depth! :(

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 12:20 AM

Answers

• Hiya

The users already exported there mailboxes into .PST's.....
    But I have paid for the software to extract mailboxes from the CLEAN .EDB file , so just a case of doing that job of export to .PST, then import back into each user mailbox....
    Cant swap databases, as I believe the "MailboxGUID" will be different now that each Mail account has been disabled/re-created...

As to Disable / Enable...
    I have already done it, as after talking with a consultant who will be helping me, advised that's the best way too....  Finished doing that for 50 mailboxes 30 minutes ago

Understood about users replying to old mails, thanks for the heads up.... I've told people for some cases, it might be a case of having to copy the contents of a reply and post into a new message to send out (based on if they have mails sat in there Outbox in Outlook2007)

Thank you for your help so far, most grateful.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 4:20 PM

All replies

• I would start with running setup with the recoverserver switch:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123496(v=EXCHG.80).aspx

There are many articles out there that give a step by step tutorial for working your way through this :)
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 12:45 AM
  • Hi,

Also refer this:

Disaster Recovery

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998848(v=exchg.80).aspx

Thanks

Mavis Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 9:48 AM
  • Hiya

Thanks for the reply, had looked at this already, but it's of no help...
    The Dead server that host Exch 2007, was also a Domain Controller...
    I followed the steps a short while ago with regards to removing a failed DC from Active Directory....
    So I guess at the same time as removing the DC, it also plays a part with the Exchange setup ?

I need to be able to make my newly created mail server which can already see the email users (AD) with there external address info, OU container, etc etc....
    Currently it says mailbox is on the "dead server", I need to find a way of changing the config so the empty mailbox resides on the new server, and then I can import the data into each users account (.PST's)

I don't know how to make the new server handle the mailboxes (given it thinks the mailboxes are on the now dead server..)

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 12:52 PM
  • I know that in Exchange 2010, you can run a mailbox move that only updates the directory.  I don't know if this ability exists in Exchange 2007, though. How many mailboxes are we talking about here?

The correct way to recover this server, whether it is a domain controller or not, is to do what Mavis and Brenle said - use the recoverserver switch.  You should be able to join the domain with the new server using the old name.  This will replace the server object in the AD.  Once that is done, you should be able to run setup with that switch, and it should rebuild the server.  You do need to ensure that all drives and paths Exchange used on the original server exist on the new one.  You will also need to recover the databases (again, using the links supplied above) in order to fully recover your mailboxes.

I will add one final thing - if this server was a domain controller, do you have more than one other domain controller in your domain?  If not, create a new one.  Otherwise, if you lose that last domain controller, you just lost your entire directory.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 1:09 PM
  • if ur all DC's gone. first of all u should bring your AD first. if u have FSMO DC backup(system State), restore DC from Directory Services Restore Mode . use Server same name ,IP address, Directory structure to create new DC with same forest/domain/NetBIOS Name, once u restore(if u use windows native backup, u will face troubles with restoring), u will have health DC(, if need, if u had ,u may have to remove other DC from manual steps -ntdsutil).

http://blog.pluralsight.com/backup-and-restore-active-directory-on-windows-server-2008

once u have DC up, install Exchange with recover mode , then u will have Exchange without data. if u have exchange data backup, restore it.

http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-server-2007/high-availability-recovery/Recovering-Exchange-2007-Server-RecoverServer-switch.html

http://windowsitpro.com/exchange-server/recover-your-exchange-server-2007-environment-16-steps

if it's single Server for DC and Exchange, do the same steps (first DC and then Exchange with recovery mode)

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 1:17 PM
  • I had 3 DC's, 2 original DC's and I made a DC a few days before the crash...
    Its Server2003 Domain level, and the Windows2003 Server holds all the roles and is the primary DC...
    I had already updated the settings to make devices point to the new DC I created....
    So on a Domain Controller level, am OK there, have 2 operational, and I followed the instructions using ndsutil to remove the dead DC server (which was also the mail server).

Progress now, I think:
    Using BackupExec 12.5, I restored the Exchange Database & logs onto the new server (different name server).
    I then used ESEUTIL to merge logs and database and also repair it, as the tool told me the DB was in a Dirty Shutdown state...
    It now states the Dbase is CLEAN.

I am now able to mount the datatbase in the Recovery Storage Group, and when performing pre-merge options, I can see the mailboxes and other info.

Question now is, how do I get the info onto the new server ?
    IE:  Old Server name is:  EMAIL1
    New server name is EMAIL2
    The new server had already been exposed to the Exchange organisation last week, so when I open Exhange Management Console, and look at Mailboxes, I can see 50 mailboxes, but all stating they reside on EMAIL1 server......
    How do I move the container config, etc so the mailboxes are on EMAIL2 server ??

In terms of using the recover switch, am guessing that would mean building a new virtual server (not a problem, I have one ready setup), giving it the same name and IP as before, and then installing EXCH2007 using that switch ????
    I recall the old server having C & D: drives, with exchange and its Dbase installed on D: 
    But can only assume the files were stored in the usual path (d:\program files\exch2007\mailboxes)
    Cant be 100% certain though...
    • Edited by StuartUK34 Wednesday, October 1, 2014 5:27 PM update
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 5:24 PM
  • With a database that has all the affected mailboxes in it, you can do the following:

1. Mail-disable all of the affected mailboxes
    2. Mail-enable all of them, with their mailbox on the new server in a new database
    3. Once they all have mailboxes, replace the new database with the recovered database (you will need to set the database to with the "This database can be overwritten by a restore" setting to replace the database - and make sure you replace the database AND the log files)

At this point, the mailboxes should be accessible on the new server.  Create a CName record in your DNS for the old server name that points to another Exchange server in your organization (this will allow the Outlook profiles to properly update to the new server - if you point the CName at the new server, Outlook won't update the profile and will always look for the old server name), and the users should be able to access the recovered mailboxes.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 5:58 PM
  • Thanks the reply.....
    I get this message after (seeing as EMAIL1 server is offline/dead)

--------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft Exchange Warning
    Action 'Disable' was performed successfully on object 'User1', but there are some warning(s).

User1
    Completed

Warning:
    Exchange Information Store on server 'EMAIL1.services.diff' is inaccessible. Please ensure that the network is connected and that the Exchange Information Store is not stopped.

OK

I click into the "Disconnected Mailboxes" folder, and its empty.  Cannot see the mailbox on the new server, and when trying to connect to the old, it will Time out........

** IS THIS Possible ???**
    As it is a Win2003 domain, on the Win2003 server, there is an Unused Exch2003......

I disabled the mailbox as above, and as said, couldn't see it in the "disconnected mailboxes", unless I am to wait over 10 minutes or so ???
    Anyway, I logged onto the old Win2003 server, opened AD Users, into the OU containing the user I just marked as Disabled....
    Right clicked on his name and chose "Exchange Tasks", followed by "Create mailbox", and selected the new Exchange server to create on...
    This created a LEGACY mailbox, and on the Exchange Console (exch2007), I see the mailbox, on the new server, in Legacy mode..... and has the original SMTP address...
    I know there is a command to convert LEGACY mailboxes to normal, but would you say its OK doing this method, or go another way ?

• Edited by StuartUK34 Wednesday, October 1, 2014 7:15 PM update
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 7:03 PM
  • You can't reconnect a mailbox that isn't there, and you can't connect to mailboxes that are in the recovery storage group.  You need to give them empty mailboxes in an empty database, then "restore" the database by swapping out the empty one with the recovered one.  To do this, do the following:

1. Get a list of all the affected mailboxes/accounts
    2. Remove the mailbox attributes from these accounts
    3. Create a new database on the new server - give it a new name, too
    4. Mount this database
    5. Copy the recovered database into the location that this new database is in - do NOT give it the same name
    6. Create mailboxes for all of these accounts in this new database - do NOT let users access these mailboxes yet
    7. Take the database offline and set it so it can be overwritten by a restore
    8. Rename the new database file (or delete it) and rename the recovered database file to the same name you gave the new database file
    9. Mount the database

I'm writing these steps from memory, so you may have issues with them.  If you do, see if the following article can help:  http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-server-2007/management-administration/Moving-Exchange-Server-2007-database-Mailbox-servers.html

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 7:52 PM
  • it's believe if you want to merge your mailbox to another server, it can be done. but believe it's complicated rather than install on recover mode you old Mail Server.  install New Server for Exchange (VM for P ) as same name (MAIL1 - reset computer account, before add to domain ), install Exchange 2007(same SP level) with recover mode.

you should have same partitions on new Server,(C: D:etc..)

http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-server-2007/high-availability-recovery/Recovering-Exchange-2007-Server-RecoverServer-switch.html

then you will have Exchange server with mailbox, but no data for email box. after that you should recover data from the backup .

Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:09 AM
  • hi all,

I built a new server, the same as the old setup.
    Win2008 with Exch2007 SP2   (where as I was trying to do stuff on a Win2008 R2 with exch2007 SP3 box)...

I named the server the same name & IP, set C & D partitions, fully updated the server, and copied the same IIS role settings from before.....

This server should be the same as before now (although virtual, not physical)

I ran setup /m:RecoverServer
    Unlike the failures I had on the Win2008 R2 box, this time, it did its checks and competed OK...

Would appear to be installing itself now, guess it will take an hour to do.....

Once done, i had already restore Monday nights backup of the Exch store & logs onto that exch2007 SP3 server i was working on, i ran the eseutil tool to merge logs and repair the database to a CLEAN state, which is mountable in the Recovery Storage Group....

Would it be a case of just creating a Recovery storage group on my recovered server, copying the database and files onto the recovered server into the RSG, and then use that tool to merge mailboxes into the new database ??

I use Symantec BackupExec 12.5 , but as i got the data extracted already, in theory, i shouldn't need to use backupexec now ?

***UPDATE***
    Install fails :(
    Fails on HUB TRANSPORT ROLE, it says:  Service 'MSExchangeADTopology' Failed to start ??
    • Edited by StuartUK34 Thursday, October 2, 2014 10:05 AM update
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 10:03 AM
  • Don't recover into the RSG - recover into the original database location, since this database is now on the server it originally ran on.  Or, if you have already recovered it, just move it to the original location, and (as I said in my previous two posts) select the "This database can be overwritten by a restore" setting.  Then mount it.  At this point, your mailboxes should be accessible.
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 12:10 PM
  • it's believed in the site itself it' mentioned and u should use syntax

"""Note:
    If you’re recovering an Exchange 2007 Server with the Hub Transport Server role installed, and this is the only Exchange 2007 Server with this role installed, it's recommended to run Setup.com /M:RecoverServer with the /DoNotStartTransport syntax, as there are a few post-recovery steps that should be completed before this role is made active.""

can't remember correct process to restore DB and believe this is correct.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH57346

Thursday, October 2, 2014 12:51 PM
  • Cheers for input guys...

I figured after the failure of trying to use the "RecoverServer" switch and it failing, rebooting that server, and finding that the Hubtransport service is stuck in "starting" mode, I thought I would try my other plan.....

So now, I am "disabling" the user email, and wait for it to pop up the error to say it cant see the original mail server...
    Then, instead of using my Win2003 box, am just re-creating the users mail account onto the new server.....
    I will do this, and then work out how to import the data into each users mailbox...

As it stands, we use Outlook 2007 client, and all mailboxes run cached mode....
    Once I have moved everyones account, and they now have empty mailboxes, once they open Outlook 2007 which has a lot of cached mails, will Outlook auto update the mailbox, without the need for me to import there .PST's into email ????
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 2:30 PM
  • Once your users start using their empty mailboxes, any chance of just swapping the databases (the supported manner of restoring a database) is lost.  The steps I suggested above would have worked up until that point.

From that point onward, you will need to export their mail to PST, then import it into their empty mailboxes.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 2:46 PM
  • if u disable and enabled mailbox in different server,  it will create different new mailbox for each user and if you want to merge your old emails to new one will be nightmare(it's required , ADSIEDIT , AD Attributes change (GUID ,etc..). but i guess  it's possible .

if you just stop transport service and get your exchange back, i guess it will be easy . do u have only issues with transport services, r u database mounted without data, can user access emails (not send/receive) without old data.

if u create new emails box for users, u will face issues whenever try to reply to old emails , 

Thursday, October 2, 2014 2:53 PM
  • Hiya

The users already exported there mailboxes into .PST's.....
    But I have paid for the software to extract mailboxes from the CLEAN .EDB file , so just a case of doing that job of export to .PST, then import back into each user mailbox....
    Cant swap databases, as I believe the "MailboxGUID" will be different now that each Mail account has been disabled/re-created...

As to Disable / Enable...
    I have already done it, as after talking with a consultant who will be helping me, advised that's the best way too....  Finished doing that for 50 mailboxes 30 minutes ago

Understood about users replying to old mails, thanks for the heads up.... I've told people for some cases, it might be a case of having to copy the contents of a reply and post into a new message to send out (based on if they have mails sat in there Outbox in Outlook2007)

Thank you for your help so far, most grateful.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 4:20 PM