Hyper-v server 2008 R2 and backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I want to implement a single server install using Hyper-v server 2008 (the free version with no GUI) which will be hosting a SBS 2003, ideally I'd like to backup the VHD to tape.

My Assumptions / Findings:

Hyper-v server 2008 has no backup built into it but I could use DSS to expose the drive then xcopy the data somewhere.
    No backup can be installed directly on the server, an agent could be install but another server would be necessary to back it up.
    Hyper-v server 2008 has no support for a tape drive directly attached.

I could be very wrong (highly likely) in my understanding, but happy to be put right..

Thanks

John

Fidget
    Monday, October 12, 2009 9:48 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hiya,

I know you already said you wanted the vhd backup, however I will just make sure to outline a few options here :)

1*: Backup the server as you would any other server. Install your backup tool on the server and maintain it like any other.
    - Insures single file restore.
    - Doesnt change your procedures - normal backup operation, DR procedure etc.

2: Backup the server using a Volume Shadow Copy of the VHD file.
    - No single file restore.
    - Procedure is different from your physical.
    - DR scenario is usually faster

*Thats the one I have experience in. Meaning I havnt had the oppotunity to try windows backup VSS functionality against VHD backup - but in theory it should be possible.

Now for backup it self you could have a look at Windows Backup for 2008. - Altho alot of people say its scrap, I find it quite usefull still. Altho it requires that you use the commandline interface as it will give you alot more possibilities. (Altho not the direct backup to tape that your searching for, but it will copy it to any network location, which in sense could be a tape drive attached to another server.)

Helpfull links:
    Windows Backup Step-by step guide:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770266(WS.10).aspx

wbadmin command line:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754015(WS.10).aspx

VSS / Shadow Copy:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy

Hoepfully there is enough above to get you going, else feel free to ask away :)

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:32 AM
  • Hello

Thanks for the reply:

Option 1: I cannot do, the Hyper-v server 2008 does not have a GUI, everything has to be managed remotely, Windows server 2008 with Hyper-v has all the management.

Option 2: This is what I've done, I've xposed the VHD drives and used VSS along with robocopy to a network share then either DPM or BEXEC to tape.

I've been trying to use a single server with Hyper-v server 2008 r2 to virtualise an aging 2003 server, it has become very apparent that hyper-v server is not designed to be used in a sigle server enviroment but in an enterprise, I have now given up and am going to use 2008 server with hyper-v, this means I can install whatever backup solution onto the host, its a shame, with a little more thought for the SMB market I'd have a solution for high resilience virtual servers.

Thanks

john

Fidget
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:58 AM
  • Hiya,

Must admit I never heard of a free version with no GUI :)
    I know the server core version, which doesnt have a gui interface. I dont know if Windows Backup ís operative for that, but I would guess so.

If you indeed are running server core, what I would recommend you to do is:
    1: Install the Hyper-V Role, Windows Backup feature.
    2: Install Hyper-V management on a seperate machine, and use that to remote manage your core server.
    3: Create a bat file that runs a scheduled task with the backup that you want.

Here is an example of Windows backup against a cluster with a quorum disk. It backs up Witness Disk(Q:\) if available.
    If not exist Q:\test.txt (exit)
    IF exist Q:\Test.txt (wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:<File share> -include:q: -vssFull -quiet) > <Logfile.txt>
    If exist Q:\test.txt (wbadmin get versions -backupTarget:<File share> -machine:FEDK0427
    ) > <LogFile.txt>

Anyways, I hope you get/got your problem solved :)

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 7:54 AM
  • Hello

Here's the link to the free version, its more cut down than core, and yet can do more than core !!

http://www.microsoft.com/hyper-v-server/en/us/default.aspx

Thanks

John

Fidget
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:54 AM