Explorer Not Loading "Computer" from Start Menu RRS feed

• Question

• I have what seems to be a unique issue. I am supporting a user who has trouble loading the Computer section (displaying local, removable, and network drives) when he accesses it through the Start Menu. If he navigates to it any other way, from a desktop shortcut, Windows Key + E, even the back button from the C: drive, it loads just fine. I removed and re-added the shortcut from the start menu and this fixed the issue for one click, but broke the ability to load from Windows Key + E. I tried running System File Checker as well as a Check Disk, but neither of these solved his problem. This is not an issue from any other profile on the machine. I have checked for malware, but there is nothing to be found. I am thinking I will have to wipe his profile and start again, but if there is a fix for this issue, I would much rather go that route. I also think this may be beneficial for those searching for the same issue.

The user is running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on an Optiplex 990 with 8 GB of RAM and the most up to date BIOS, as well as all of the latest Windows Updates. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since the only profile have the problem and so many methods you have tried and not work, I also recommend you run system restore for test.

Start>type system restore in the search box>click system restore>follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point.

If the method still not work,  the current profile may got corrupted.

Follow the steps in the article below to fix the corrupted user profile.

Fix a corrupted user profile

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-vista/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Sunday, December 8, 2013 5:09 PM
    Monday, November 25, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Looks like a system restore plus one more sfc /scannow took care of the issue. The user is still getting the green loading bar, but everything appears normal within the "Computer Folder."

Thanks for all the help!

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 12:38 AM

All replies

• 1. Have you tried to return to previous restore point?

2. Are there any traces in Event logs (Errors and warnings) that may shed the light to this behaviour?

3. Sometimes it is easier to backup data and restore from reliable backup.

Regards

Milos

Friday, November 22, 2013 4:14 PM
  • 1. I have not. The issue seemed to have been there since we imaged the machine, but only on this machine. We have plenty of other 990's without this issue, so I don't believe it is the image.

2. Nothing in Event Viewer that seems to be related to the issue. 

3. I think that's going to be what I have to do.

Thanks Milos!

Friday, November 22, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Hi,

Since the only profile have the problem and so many methods you have tried and not work, I also recommend you run system restore for test.

Start>type system restore in the search box>click system restore>follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point.

If the method still not work,  the current profile may got corrupted.

Follow the steps in the article below to fix the corrupted user profile.

Fix a corrupted user profile

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-vista/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 25, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Ada,

Thank you for your response! I will try the system restore and the corrupted user profile fix, and then I will post an update.

Monday, November 25, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Looks like a system restore plus one more sfc /scannow took care of the issue. The user is still getting the green loading bar, but everything appears normal within the "Computer Folder."

Thanks for all the help!

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 12:38 AM