Extremely Laggy, Freezing with IRQL Not Less Or Equal To RRS feed

• Question

• A few days ago, my computer was really laggy. I couldn't access the internet, run a system restore, or run any antivirus programs. I assumed I had some sort of virus. I restored the computer to the factory settings. I thought that would fix the problem.

It didn't, not really. I can use the internet, do system restores and use antivirus programs now, but the lag and freezing is just as bad, if not worse. Every one to five minutes, no matter what I'm doing, the computer will freeze. The HDD light by the keyboard lights up solid. I can move the mouse but not click. CTRL + ALT + DEL doesn't usually do anything. Sometimes I get a black screen with an error message, "Unable to access security and logon options." If I can pull up the ctrl alt del menu, often clicking on any of the options does nothing. Sometimes the freeze will go away by itself after a minute or two, but most of the time I mus to power down and turn the computer back on.

Three times in the last day, I have gotten the IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal error. I've run the memory diagnostics and it said the memory was fine. I can run safe mode, however that does not solve the lag issues.

Someone suggested it could still be malware and to install and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program in safe mode. I did, but I have no idea if there's any malware or not because my computer freezes about three minutes into the scan every time and I have to power off. It freezes in normal mode, it freezes in safe mode with networking, it freezes in safe mode without networking.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 15 (N5030). If it sounds like a hardware issue, could someone point me in the right direction? Otherwise, what do I do? My computer is basically unusable for more than three minutes at a time.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 2:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, it seems a performance issue. Please take a look in Task Manager and check which process consumes the most resource. You may also try booting computer in Clean Boot to see whether it makes any difference.

Regarding the error message you received, please refer to the following article.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560129(v=vs.85).aspx

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:02 AM
    Thursday, May 3, 2012 6:30 AM