none
DPM 2016 Storage pool disks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

In my new DPM 2016 setup (migrated from DPM 2012) I have two type of storage's: one it's legacy type - Disk (DPM Storage Pool Disks) and another is Modern Backup Storage type - Volume (DPM Storage Pool Volumes and Folders). When I trying to create new protection group I able to choose only MBS volume. Is it normal that for new protection group only "Storage Pool Volume and folders" are available and DPM Storage Pool Disks can be used only for old protection groups which are already configured with this legacy storage type?

Monday, November 14, 2016 1:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, that is correct.  The Logical Disk Manager (LDM) style storage will only used to maintain existing protected data source.  Unprotecting a data source and re-protecting will "migrate" that data source to new modern storage.  Newly added data sources will only be able to use new Modern DPM storage.   The reason for this is because LDM code base is in maintenance mode and will depreciated (be removed from Windows) at some point in the future, therefore we need customers to migrate to modern storage and get away from legacy.  The sooner the better.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, November 14, 2016 5:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, that is correct.  The Logical Disk Manager (LDM) style storage will only used to maintain existing protected data source.  Unprotecting a data source and re-protecting will "migrate" that data source to new modern storage.  Newly added data sources will only be able to use new Modern DPM storage.   The reason for this is because LDM code base is in maintenance mode and will depreciated (be removed from Windows) at some point in the future, therefore we need customers to migrate to modern storage and get away from legacy.  The sooner the better.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, November 14, 2016 5:00 PM
  • Thanks for answer!!!
    Monday, November 14, 2016 5:39 PM